Author Topic: Rule Change Vote  (Read 1366 times)

Tombstone

• View Profile
Rule Change Vote
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:31:51 AM »
The powers that be are trying to figure out how to vote on rule changes on line or through the mail.
The first test will be a proposed rule change that has come up many times over the last few years.

It involves leaving the Loading Table with a cocked rifle, they are cleaning up the wording now but basically it will state
if you go to the firing line with a cocked hammer on your rifle you will be asked to point the gun down range and pull the trigger, if it clicks then no call, stage the gun and start the stage, if it goes off, SDQ for moving with a cocked loaded gun.

I will post the exact wording as soon as I find it. I will also be talking about this proposal at the next few shoots to see how the club wants me to vote. Right now it is a SDQ to leave the Loading Table with the hammer in any position other than fully down.
I for one am all for it. This rule has gotten a lot of us and should be addressed if there is not a safety issue.

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
Re: Rule Change Vote
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
I am in favor of this change.  It is pretty easy for your hammer to get bumped and end up on half-cock.  It is a frustrating way to get DQed.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »
2.      It was discussed at the last EOT to change the penalty for coming to the line with a hammer back on rifle when leaving loading table.  It has been suggested that the handling of the situation is as follows:  If the hammer is back on the rifle while leaving the loading table to the stage, the shooter is to point the rifle safely down range, pull the trigger.  If a round is fired, squib or otherwise (live round was under the hammer) a SDQ violation would have occurred.  If the chamber is confirmed to be empty (hammer goes “click” with no round fired, the shooter may continue to stage guns with no further call.   NOTE: The current rule remains in effect….no change has been voted on or approved by the TGs.  The ROC has agreed with this concept.  There will likely be a future vote either electronically or at a Summit.

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
I am also in favor of the change, but it should apply to shotguns as well.  If an internal-hammered double-barrel or 97 happens to close as the shooter makes his way from loading table to firing line, he also gets the DQ if he keeps walking.   Seems easy enough to open the action once the gun is staged...if no shells are found inside, no call.
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 07:04:09 PM »
I am also in favor of the change, but it should apply to shotguns as well.  If an internal-hammered double-barrel or 97 happens to close as the shooter makes his way from loading table to firing line, he also gets the DQ if he keeps walking.   Seems easy enough to open the action once the gun is staged...if no shells are found inside, no call.
I cock my hammered double at the loading table. I would assume that this would apply to it also.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 06:09:37 AM »
At this time it will not apply to Shotgun. Ethan, it is legal to move with a cocked open gun already. Nothing has changed on that front.

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 08:41:36 PM »
I'm in favor of this change.

Purly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
When/if it ever comes to a vote TMM is in favor of the change.
Thete was another proposal that didn't get very far. Hipshot wanted to limit the number of SDQ,s a shooter could get per stsge to one. After discussion the proposal died a quick death.