Author Topic: Rule Clarification: SG closes while moving  (Read 1701 times)

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
Rule Clarification: SG closes while moving
« on: July 02, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
Here is discussion topic on the SASS Wire that I never really thought about before: 

QUESTION:  If a double-barrel shotgun* shooter is moving from one position to another with an EMPTY shotgun and the action closes while moving, what is the call?

ANSWER:  If the shooter stops and opens the action before taking more than one step, it is a no-call. If the shooter takes more than one step, it is a SDQ.  Ouch!

(* The only time this does not apply would be to a hammered double with the hammers not cocked.  A hammerless double cocks on opening.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the applicable sections of the rule book:

Page 22 of the shooter's Handbook under "Stage Disqualifications"

- Changing location with a long gun with the action closed and the hammer cocked

Page 15 of the shooter's Handbook under "Safe Conditions During a Course of Fire – Shotguns"

A shotgun is considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while moving through a stage in the following condition only:
- Action open, round in chamber or on carrier.
- Hammer(s) fully down on an empty chamber(s) or expended round(s), action closed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the thread on the SASS Wire: https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/276454-hammered-double-movement-call/

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
Re: Rule Clarification: SG closes while moving
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 12:10:36 PM »
Good info to know. Thanks for posting.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
Here is discussion topic on the SASS Wire that I never really thought about before: 

QUESTION:  If a double-barrel shotgun* shooter is moving from one position to another with an EMPTY shotgun and the action closes while moving, what is the call?

ANSWER:  If the shooter stops and opens the action before taking more than one step, it is a no-call. If the shooter takes more than one step, it is a SDQ.  Ouch!

(* The only time this does not apply would be to a hammered double with the hammers not cocked.  A hammerless double cocks on opening.)

Here are the applicable sections of the rule book:

Page 22 of the shooter's Handbook under "Stage Disqualifications"

- Changing location with a long gun with the action closed and the hammer cocked

Page 15 of the shooter's Handbook under "Safe Conditions During a Course of Fire – Shotguns"

A shotgun is considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while moving through a stage in the following condition only:
- Action open, round in chamber or on carrier.
- Hammer(s) fully down on an empty chamber(s) or expended round(s), action closed.

Here is the thread on the SASS Wire: https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/276454-hammered-double-movement-call/

Think I know the answer but going to ask anyway. Ok hammer gun load hammers cocked gun closed. Shoot realizes she/he needs to move to engage the target. I am assuming that by opening the gun they can move. Am I correct?
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »
Uncle Ethan,

I believe that any with any shotgun, if the shooter opens the action, they are free to move even with a shell in the chamber.

AM