Author Topic: You make the call...State Championship version  (Read 881 times)

Jackalope

• View Profile
You make the call...State Championship version
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »
We had a great time at Wartrace during the Tennessee State Championship.  The range was clean, the stages had a ton of options and were challenging without being complicated.  Our posse consisted of a fun group of folks from Iowa, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee.  The experience levels varied, SASS numbers ranging from 21880 to over 101000.  Of these 18 competitors, 7 were shooting gunfighter-style.  We had a good time and made some new friends while we were at it.

As happens at most larger matches, several things occurred that would qualify as "You Make the Call" events.

For example...

1)  Shooter fires five shots and re-holsters the revolver.  The TO noticed the revolver had been cocked again when it was holstered.
No call?
Minor safety?
Stage disqualification?
Match disqualification?

2)  While walking to starting position for the stage, the shooter's loaded revolver fell from his holster when he tripped and fell down.
No call?
Prop failure?
Minor safety?
Stage disqualification?
Match disqualification?

3)  At the buzzer, shooter picked up his rifle, opened the lever, hesitated and asked for a re-start.  Timer operator agreed and instructed shooter to make rifle safe.  Shooter closed lever, put the rifle on the table and let go of it.
No call?
RO interference?
Minor safety?
Stage disqualification?
Match disqualification?

4)  Shooter finished a stage only to discover the timer operator didn't pick up any of the shots fired?
No call?
Re-shoot?
RO interference?

5)  On the fourth stage of the day, the shooter discovers he had failed to unload empties from his revolver after the previous stage.
No call?
Re-shoot?
Minor safety?
Stage disqualification?

Happily, our posse wasn't responsible for all these situations, but they all happened at some point last weekend and were discussed after the fact around the campfire.  There were probably others that we didn't hear about.  I can't say for sure that all these were handled and scored correctly, but...if the concerned parties looked in the SASS books, the answers are there.

Can you answer them correctly without checking the book?

Jackalope
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Randy Saint Eagle

• View Profile
Re: You make the call...State Championship version
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »
If I read #1 right, SDQ holstering a cocked revolver as soon as they let go of it. (I think)
#2 MDQ
#3 SDQ? Loaded gun leaving shooters hand with round in chamber
#4 Reshoot
#5 SDQ on the previous stage

I didn't have time to look these up but I thought I'd take a guess anyway.

Randy

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:48:22 PM »
Pretty sure you got it right on, Randy. 

There are two things I failed to mention...

1)  The Wartrace Regulators did a fantastic job putting on this match!  My hat's off to them.

2)  We saw the "pinkest" cowboy ever.  He is certainly "Tough Enough"!

Jackalope
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Randy Saint Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »
Jackalope, glad y'all had a good time but I don't know where you saw a pink cowboy?