Author Topic: Rules Wizard Question 5  (Read 1351 times)

TN Mongo

• View Profile
Rules Wizard Question 5
« on: October 04, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
This happened last Saturday at MDR: A "buckerette" attempted to engage a rifle knockdown target, but jacked out the round.  Any of the remaining rifle or pistol knockdowns could have been cleaned up with the shotgun.  She left the rifle target up and did not try to knock it down with a shotgun round. 

The TO and the spotters reasoned that, because buckeroos/buckerettes are not required to knock down knock down targets, only engage them, she was given a call of "clean".  Was this a correct call?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:21:30 PM by TN Mongo »

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
Re: Rules Wizard Question 5
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 03:20:59 PM »
I believe that it would be a miss for the unfired round.  The rule about shooting the required number of rounds is not different for buckaroos/ettes.  Now if she hit the knockdown, and it just did not fall, that would be OK.

What if she (or anyone else) did make it up with the shotgun?  Would the unfired round still be a miss?  I think so.

AM

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
So she didn't fire at the target, so she didn't engage it. Miss
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »

...The TO and the spotters reasoned that, because a buckeroos/buckerettes are not required to knock down knock down targets, only engage them, she was given a call of "clean".  Was this a correct call?

Quoted from SASS Shooter's Handbook...

"Knockdown targets are not required to fall for Buckaroo Category shooters. A hit will be scored as long as the target is clearly hit."

So, no...this was not a correct call.  Assuming the number of rifle rounds was specified in the scenario, if the shooter did not fire that many rounds, the ejected (unfired) round should have been scored a miss.  I "suspect" the scenario stated that knock down targets left standing would be counted as misses.  It follows, then that if the shooter did not attempt the knockdown with any gun and left it standing, that would be scored as another miss.

Hard to tell exactly without knowing the specifics of the stage.
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
Knock downs still standing were a miss.

I felt it was a miss, but as a humble brass picker, my opinion did not matter.

Judge Duncan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:19:58 PM »

I blew that call as a spotter.

I incorrectly said the shooter engaged the target. She had jacked a live round out earlier and did lever and pull the trigger at the target. 
I counted the jacked out round as a miss.