Author Topic: New Shooters Clinic/Orientation  (Read 3644 times)

Tombstone

• View Profile
New Shooters Clinic/Orientation
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »
I will be holding a clinic/orientation for new shooters on Sunday the 6th during set-up. I go over rules, what is expected, how to help the posse, different shooting styles, rules and regs, and anything else anyone needs to know about CAS and the Oak Ridge Outlaws.
Bring guns and ammo if you would like and we will run you through a stage or two so you will be more relaxed for the main match.

Cumberland Mtn John

• View Profile
Re: New Shooters Clinic/Orientation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
Tombstone,

At this time I plan on bringing a new shooter to your Clinic on the 6th.

CMJ

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:28:40 AM »
Thanks Tombstone,  I'll be there anxious to learn.

I can bring a rifle and a shotgun, still in the process of getting my hands on a pair of revolvers. Truly appreciate your help in getting us new shooters on the right track!

Sheriff Langston.

Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
I have a couple of guys interested. came out and watched us shoot 7-8.
Will let you know if they are coming out.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
encourage them to come, it will make the first match easier.

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
I did take ownership of a pair of SASS Vaqueros today and they are impressive. (5133) Never owned Ruger's that came in a red case :)  I'm pulling my ducks together slowly - or so it seems. 

My question surrounds ammo.  I understand the rules around power factor and the lead only rule, however what do you folks generally buy as far as .38 and 12 Gauge ammo?   And what is the best place to purchase?  Seems to me I may be going though some volume.

My list is down to a gun belt rig, which a reader of this is working on for me - no pressure :) and a cart for which I have a bunch of ideas and I will be building.

Thanks everyone really looking forward to this adventure!

Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Ocoee Red

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »
Most all of us reload and if you take to this game for any length of time I would suggest you do the same. However getting started in the game can be overwhelming, buying guns, leather and then into reloading.

In the mean time you could go to a local gun store or online to someone like Georgia Arms, but this gets expensive fast. Most people shooting 38's are shooting 125's or 105's now. some people have friends that reload for them also. As far as shotgun, I personally use Winchester Low Noise-Low Recoil or Light Target. #8 shot or 7.5, or Remington STS Light Target or Remington Gun Clubs, or reloaded rounds.

Hope this helps, sent you a pm too.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/38-special-1/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:29:00 AM by Ocoee Red »

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice Ocoee!  Appreciated.

I also responded to your PM

:)

Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
I just purchased 30 boxes of Winchester AAs from Bass Pro Shop. Total with tax came to $294.98. Shipping was free.
There is rebate of $2.00 a box, up to 50 boxes good until Sept. 4th.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
Sheriff Langston,

If you are going to use the Winchester 97 shotgun, you can use the cheaper ribbed shells with the steel bases on the hulls.  As long as the shot is lead and size 7-ish or smaller, they will be fine.  When and if you decide to switch to a double-barreled shotgun, you will want to avoid the cheap ribbed shells as they do not slide out of the chambers easily after being shot.

AM

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
Thanks for the pointer on the Bass Pro sale Uncle Ethan.

Anita, I remember from our conversation about side by sides and ribbed shell casings - makes sense thanks for reminding me.  I really enjoy my 97 Winchester pump however the more I think about it a side by side may be for me. 

This is an interesting learning curve - but having fun!

As an example I'm still figuring out how to consistently put 5 rounds into my fancy new Vaqueros and have the cylinder "lock" on the empty chamber.  Yes I'm using snap caps :)  Seems I'm not qualified to be past the loading table yet.

Jackalope eluded to me the value of repetitive actions which makes perfect sense in this sport.  If you have the loading process down your mind is effectively thinking about the firing line before you get there and you are more prepared.  Just thinking aloud :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:04:46 PM by Sheriff Langston »
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
We will cover that at the clinic, along with plenty of other questions you will have.
Do you have ammo for your pistols and rifle? I have some factory loads I can sell you if you need some.

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
Tombstone

I will be good on .38 special for pistols and rifle, have some cowboy loads on the way from Georgia Arms. 

12 gauge, I'm still looking around but I should be good by the clinic date.

Thanks.
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
If you don't get yours by clinic date, I can lone you a box or two. Just pay me back when you get your order.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
Wyatt Earp

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »
Thank you Uncle Ethan.  I may take you up on that if the order does not materialize in time.
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger