Author Topic: Finger Groove grips  (Read 7955 times)

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
Finger Groove grips
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
Didn't see anything in the rule book about this. Are revolver grips with finger grooves legal for SASS?

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/cim_rs410.jpg

Edited by forum administrator 2/19/2018:
UPDATE AS OF FEBRUARY 2018:  Grips with finger grooves are now illegal in SASS, including the Cimarron Rooster grips that were previously allowed.  See this thread on the SASS Wire: https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/271315-rooster-shooter-grips/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:55:23 AM by forum-admin »
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Randy Saint Eagle

• View Profile
Re: Finger Groove grips
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
This is all I could find so I don't think it is conclusive. I don't think what you are talking about would be considered a target grip.

From RO1

Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not
customized to constitute a ―target‖ grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic
shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms.

?????
Randy

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »
This must have been a topic for discussion on the TG Wire lately because I just this very day got an email regarding this topic from Allie Mo, who is a TG and often sends out rules clarifications she learns about.

Her email:

----------------------------------

According to PaleWolf, spokesman for the RO Committee, the following two grips are examples of illegal (for SASS) grips.

The following is a legal grip. The gun is called The Rooster Shooter. More information may be found at the following Website. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/rooster-shooter-45-colt-4-3-4-by-uberti.html

Bottom line - The ONLY "finger-groove" grips that have been approved are those on the Uberti "Rooster Shooter".
NONE of the aftermarket versions have been found to be legal...
FWIW - NONE of the aftermarket manufacturers have ever applied for a ruling, either.

---------------------------

Makes little sense to me, but there you are....

AM
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:16:02 AM by Anita Margarita »

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
Thanks Anita
Jedi Gunfighter #287
Wyatt Earp

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
Ethan, I had posted the question on the TG wire to get a ruling hopefully before you bought them. AM is quicker on the posting than I am, thank you.  The thread is pretty confusing but those grips would not be considered legal.

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »
No I haven't purchased anything yet. I was looking at a set of grips, same color and material, without the finger grooves. I sent an email to the company that makes them. This was his reply.

New message from: arizonacustomgrips Top Rated Seller(3,674Red Star)
Thank you for the inquiry.  We are making an attempt as we speak to contact SASS and will see what can be done.  I appreciate your bringing this to our attention.  If it happens, we will try to put something in the listing indicating that it is SASS permitted.

Thanks,
 Arizona Custom Grips
Makers of Quality Custom Grips for those demanding the Best!
Jedi Gunfighter #287
Wyatt Earp

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »
Got another reply with an answer, I guess, about finger groove grips being legal. From what I am reading in his email, it's the "pre-worn" grips that are legal.
My question is how do you tell the difference?

Hi again,

I have been in contact with SASS and here is their reply:
The ROC ruled a few years ago that the Cimarron Uberti "Rooster Shooter" RS410 with factory finger-groove grips is LEGAL due to the "worn" grooves replicating JW's actual revolver.
Some of the aftermarket versions of the grips are NOT "pre-worn" and are considered "grip-enhancing" and ILLEGAL. 
Takeoffs from the Rooster Shooter would also be legal.

So, I have looked up pictures of the various "Rooster Shooter" grips sold by Cimarron.  They have switched suppliers several times, and have had a difficult time getting a good grip that would hold up from what I was told.  Our Magna-Tusk grips have fingergrooves about as deep as some of the other Cimarron grips.  I did see some Cimarron grips that had finger grooves shallower (as I said, they are pretty much all over the board).  Our finger grooves are "worn in" before the grips are aged.  So, bottom line is, you should have no problem with them whatsoever.  If you were worried about it, we could make a pair with more shallow grooves, but that would be up to you.  Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Davis
 Arizona Custom Grips
Makers of Quality Custom Grips for those demanding the Best!
Jedi Gunfighter #287
Wyatt Earp

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
From the rules master himself, Pale Wolf. The answer is if they are not on the Rooster Shooter they will not be allowed. The rules used to read something like "no grip enhancing external modifications are allowed"

The quick response to your inquiry is NO...NOT RECOMMENDED...UNLESS someone wants to submit an FMC to the ROC (which is unlikely to be approved)
REF: post #12

To reiterate:
"The ONLY "finger-groove" grips that have been approved are those on the Uberti "Rooster Shooter".
NONE of the aftermarket versions have been found to be legal...
FWIW - NONE of the aftermarket manufacturers have ever applied for a ruling, either."

Like This

~ PaleWolf Brunelle ~

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »
thanks Tombstone.
I originally was looking at his non finger groove grips
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262788275719?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Wasn't about to spend $150, on a set of grips without finding out if they were legal or not.
I can see why the rules committee would be reluctant to approve things like this. Could get out of hand in a hurry.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
Wyatt Earp

River Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 10:49:08 PM »
inconceivable!

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
Personally, I don't like the idea of any of these grips, but the claim that the "Rooster Shooter" grips are "pre-worn" is hilarious.

AM

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
I was thinking the same thing Anita. how do you judge 'pre-worn"?
Do you judge by depth?
The problem I think is that if one is approved, then how do you not approve the others? 
Jedi Gunfighter #287
Wyatt Earp

Randy Saint Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 09:07:54 PM »
Uncle Ethan, you might want to read the post on the SASS Forum, it seems the The gripe on the new Rooster Shooters are not legal, only the older ones.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=260334

Randy

Outlaw Sam Bass

• Ain't nothin' better'n a fresh $20 gold piece!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
Can a shooter make his or her own grips ( or stock)? If so, what are the limitations?
Outlaw Sam Bass