Author Topic: Rule Changes to be voted on.  (Read 333 times)

Tombstone

• View Profile
Rule Changes to be voted on.
« on: December 04, 2023, 02:20:38 PM »
The following will be coming up in the next few months it looks like. These are some rule changes that seem to clean up the last rule changes they had.

I will need to vote by January 8th.

Posted Thursday at 06:57 PM (edited)
1. Remove the SDQ penalty for initially staging a long gun with the hammer cocked/action closed with no live round in the chamber.
(verification for rifles- same as for movement from the LT...for shotguns, simply open the action to verify.)
This will remove some the responsibility from the TO to catch the cocked rifle before it leaves the shooters hand. It will also make it a little more even in case one TO caught a cocked hammer and another one did not.

2. Add shotguns to the current exception for changing location from the loading table to the stage:
Changing location with a long gun with the action closed and the hammer cocked (exception for rifle long guns from the loading table to the stage with no round chambered).
This one will bring the Shotgun in line with the rifle. Right now if a shooter left the loading table with a cocked rifle he is OK as long as there is not a round in the chamber, if the shotgun closed for some reason the shooter must stop and open the SG before they take a step or they get a SDQ

3. Remove the subjective verbiage regarding "blocks" from the lever wrap allowance:
Levers may be wrapped or padded with leather or faux leather. or other natural material.
- Filler “blocks” or other such mechanisms designed to prevent all or drastically limit movement of
the fingers within the lever loop are not allowed.
("leather" includes suede..."faux leather" would include anything that looks like leather.)
Really have not seen this in our area but I know it has come up in other areas. Removing this rule will pretty much allow any lever wrap as long as it is leather or fake leather. I have know some folks with hands so large they have a tight fit without any wrap. I am not sure if this makes a difference or not. Doesn't really matter to me and one less thing I am supposed to look at when the shooter approaches the line.

** Ballots will be sent out in the next TG Bulletin **

If Anita Margarita wants to post this as a survey that would be great. Or just chime in here.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 02:24:53 PM by Tombstone »

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
Re: Rule Changes to be voted on.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 06:10:20 PM »
Tombstone
We could put some polls up on the forum for voting if you want to.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 08:06:45 PM »
That would be good, I will not be at the Dec shoot due to family and Christmas but need to make sure I have a feeling for how the members want me to vote.

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 08:08:12 AM »
If Uncle Ethan is interested in putting up a poll, that would probably be useful.  I will just say here that I would vote "yes" on all three of them.

On item 3 ... extra leather wrap for those of us with small fingers would just level the playing field with those whose large fingers don't leave so much slop inside the lever.  Of course, as with nearly everything in SASS, there will be a few people who drive this to a ridiculous extreme and someone will start a business selling customized injection-molded inserts for $500. /sarcasm

Fretless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 10:01:58 AM »
From where I sit it's a Yes on all three.

As for the last one, the leather wrap, I think plenty of very fast shooters have demonstrated that a loose fitting lever is not a problem, so I guess I'm out of luck with my plan to make a killing selling customized injection molded inserts.  Dang it.

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 05:46:16 PM »
Poll questions posted. You have until Dec. 31st to vote.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 08:29:28 PM »
If anyone has any questions on these items please send me a PM or post it here.

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 08:02:37 AM »
Just a question to clarify:  You can currently pad your lever to your heart's content as long as it is in leather or faux leather?  This rule change just allows adding a non-leather "block" to take up room?   

If that's the case, I don't see that it makes a ton of difference because you can certainly build up a pretty big pad with leather.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 11:12:55 AM »
The word "block" is what they want to remove. Right now you are not allowed to put a "oversized wrap" on a lever. They did not want a tight fit on the lever. However I know two shooters who hands are so large there is no movement in the lever.
This rule change will allow a shooter to put as much lever wrap as they want. It will still have to be leather or fake leather.

This is the wording they are looking to revise

3. Remove the subjective verbiage regarding "blocks" from the lever wrap allowance:
Levers may be wrapped or padded with leather or faux leather. or other natural material.
- Filler “blocks” or other such mechanisms designed to prevent all or drastically limit movement of
the fingers within the lever loop are not allowed.

("leather" includes suede..."faux leather" would include anything that looks like leather.)

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 08:16:52 AM »
Tombstone, thanks for the clarification.   I vote yes on number 3.