Author Topic: Loading a revolver on the clock  (Read 4243 times)

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
Loading a revolver on the clock
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »
Since our match next weekend will include a two-round pistol reload on the clock and most of us have not done this in a long time, I thought it might be good to review some of the rules and options.  Here are some things Jackalope and I came up with. Are there other ideas or things to be aware of?

SASS rules that apply:

- Do not load more than five rounds at loading table.
- Do not de-cock/lower hammer on live round or cap.
- Do not holster with cocked/partially cocked hammer.
- Do not release from hand a cocked/partially cocked hammer UNLESS while loading gun.
- Do not release from hand a gun with the hammer down on a live round.

Since the rules about de-cocking a revolver on the line changed a few years ago, the options for reloading vary a bit based on whether you shoot a Colt-style gun (where you have to have the hammer on half-cock to load) vs. a Ruger, etc. you have to be super careful not to accidentally de-cock your Colt-style revolver (where you have to have the hammer on half-cock to load) after you reload it.  Just pull the hammer the rest of the way back and fire.

Traditional or duelist style shooter:
 1) Draw first gun, load extra round into empty chamber, shoot six, holster, draw second gun, load extra, shoot six, holster.
 2) Draw first gun, shoot five, holster, draw second gun, shoot five, knock out an empty, load and shoot two extras, holster.

Gunfighter shooter (…may not holster a loaded/partially loaded gun with intention to shoot it again later):
 1) Draw one gun, load extra, draw second gun, shoot 11, holster first gun, load extra in second gun, shoot, holster.
 2) Draw both guns, shoot 10, holster one of them, knock an empty out, load and shoot two extras.
3) Draw first gun, load extra round, place on table, draw second gun, load extra round, pick up first gun and shoot 12.   *** Not allowed if hammer must be cocked to load gun…Colt style. ***

Cap and Ball gunfighter:
 1) Draw first gun, cap extra chamber, shoot once and place gun on table, draw second gun, cap extra chamber, pick up first gun and shoot 11.  ***Pretty much the only safe way to do it under current rules, since you don’t want to shoot with an uncapped chamber? ***
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:17:55 AM by Anita Margarita »

TN Mongo

• View Profile
Re: Loading a revolver on the clock
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:24:07 PM »
Shooting gunfighter and reloading an extra round, I'd rather set them on the table.  Looks like I'll be shooting my NMV Rugers next week.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »
I dont think you can do 3 for GF. Something about a live round under the hammer leaving the shooters hand.

From RO1
Loading a revolver to maximum capacity and lowering the hammer on a live round and/or
holstering or staging the fully loaded revolver will result in a Stage Disqualification.

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »
Howdy,

A pistol shooting string of 12 shots is a new shooting procedure to me. I have experienced a single round pistol reload and a complete 5 round pistol reload.

Ref. Shooters Handbook Pg.#23, Safety Practices:
4. Six-guns are always loaded with only five rounds and the hammer lowered, fully down, and left resting on the empty chamber.

Ref. R0I Manual, Range Safety Rules, Page 16
11. Safe conditions of firearms during a course of fire are as follows:
Revolver(s)  Safe for movement in hand, while holstering, and safe to leave the shooter’s hand.  Hammer fully down on an empty chamber,  Hammer fully down on an expended round (may not be originally staged in this  condition but may be restaged in this condition).

I don't think a gunfighter could load a 6th round in a pistol then place it on the table as suggested in Option #3 as listed under Gunfighter Shooter, as the pistol would be staged and not in hand with a live round under the hammer.

If the brain is at optimal performance (which seems to happen less here lately), I would likely prefer option #1 for Gunfighter.

A Gunfighter shooter could opt to shoot double duelist and just follow the options for Traditional or Duelist style shooter.

Hasta Luego, Keystone
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »
Oh, yes, good catch Tombstone and Keystone!  Sorry, Mongo. 

AM

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »
Another (probably not very efficient...) option for a gunfighter would be to use the method for the cap and ball gunfighter:  Pull first gun, load extra round, fire one shot, place on table (hammer down on empty), pull second gun, load one, pick up first gun, shoot 11. 

AM

El Paso Slim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »
Oh come on Mongo, I know you can work those Piettas faster than I can work mine. I am sticking with mine so if you bring those NM Vaqueros and time slower on that stage I will never let you live it down. Care for a friendly beer wager?

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
El Paso, this far more complicated than my ADD brain can handle.

Rats!!  Looks like I might shoot Traditional or DD this Saturday.

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
I don't know Mongo... option 2 for gunfighters seems pretty straightforward.  Just shoot your 10 shots as usual, then holster one gun and load 2 in the other one.  As you mentioned on the other thread, marking your cylinder can help you to rotate it to the right point easily. 

Of course, you could always shoot double duelist on that stage, if you prefer.  But I'm thinking that the option above would be more efficient overall.  I might have to try it out (dry firing) both ways sometime this week to see how it works for me.

AM

p.s. In the olden days when we used to reload pistols more often, a number of people had their cylinders  engraved with a mark or flourish on one chamber just for this purpose.  How things change....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:29:15 AM by Anita Margarita »

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 10:25:39 AM »
Wish I was going to be there, shoot 10, holster left pistol, load two in right pistol and spin cylinder and go to shooting.

El Paso Slim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »
I am going to do it exactly like Tom B. Stone suggest. I am going to SPIN the cylinder! If I click on three, so be it, if I get lucky and the next two go boom, I meant to do that! The added cool factor will be worth the 3 seconds I risk thumbing through empty chambers.

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
Loading two in one gun when both are empty may be the fastest way to do this.  Mongo just pawn in the brains department - Sheriff Bart is much smarter.

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
Today, we've talked about reloads.....That leaves four other days to talk about the other stuff. ::)
Harley.
By the way, I have seen Tom B. spin it and win it more than once. He always did it that way.

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 06:59:40 AM »
Howdy,

In the match I went with reloading two cartridges in one pistol after shooting 10 shots with pistols staged & restaged on the table. I shot the entire stage seated.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

PS Staging pistols on the table allowed me to not have to re-holster them after the pistol shooting string. Re-holstering became necessary for shooters starting with pistol holstered and shooting rifle second and/or having to make up a knockdown target with the shotgun.
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel