Author Topic: Rule Revision Vote  (Read 841 times)

Tombstone

• View Profile
Rule Revision Vote
« on: December 14, 2022, 08:28:24 AM »
See post below
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 06:37:03 PM by Tombstone »

Outlaw Sam Bass

• Ain't nothin' better'n a fresh $20 gold piece!
    • View Profile
Re: Rule Revision Vote
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 11:46:49 AM »
Tombstone, your post got truncated before the finish of option 1.

Sam
Outlaw Sam Bass

Outlaw Sam Bass

• Ain't nothin' better'n a fresh $20 gold piece!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 11:50:59 AM »
It does show up, in full, on the Ocoee forum.

Sam
Outlaw Sam Bass

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 12:57:20 PM »
Tombstone is having trouble posting the whole message.  Here is the complete text:

VOTING ITEMS - INFORMATION

ITEM #1 - Allowing competitors to shoot Gunfighter style in the Junior Category.

OPTION 1: (VOTE NO) - No change. Under current Gunfighter category rules, Gunfighter is an open category. (No age restrictions). A Junior could shoot in the Gunfighter category.
SHB p. 10: Above the Base Categories listed in this handbook, the local club monthly match and club annual match level, all SASS recognized shooting categories may be offered by subdividing by all factors, including age, gender, shooting style, and propellant.
*Shooting categories offered at any match are ultimately at the discretion of the Match Officials to ensure the success and viability of each match individually.

OPTION 2: (VOTE YES) Allow Gunfighter-style in the Junior category as follows:
SHB p.5:
AGE BASED CATEGORIES
Age based categories are offered to allow all participants to compete amongst their peers. Age based categories carry the following guidelines:
- May use any main match revolver.
- Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style - EXCEPT Gunfighter.
* Junior category shooters may shoot Gunfighter-style under close supervision.

ITEM #2 - Revised BP Standard
(VOTE YES OR NO)

A majority YES vote on this item will result in the Shooters Handbook being edited to read as follows:
SHB p. 25
Power Factor / Blackpowder Smoke - Testing
   ... Testing of blackpowder rounds for the production of adequate smoke will also be conducted in a similar manner as described above. Rounds should be obtained from the shooters loaded firearms while at the loading table. The rounds should be fired in comparison to test rounds made using the following load data:
       - Standard .38 Special case
       - 125 or 158 grain bullet
       - Any common substitute
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 01:51:11 PM by Anita Margarita »

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 02:07:01 PM »
I think I have made a change to the forum now so that messages will not be truncated when it encounters certain special characters.   At least I hope I have done that....   :)

AM

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 06:32:05 PM »
Thank you very much,

For discussion item 1 pretty much add Jr Gunfighter as a category. Right now the wording allows Juniors to shoot GF "under close observation" or something like that, but they are still shooting GF. It would be pretty daunting to have to shoot against some of the GF's as a Junior.
I like the idea

Item 2 is a smoke requirement for BP. After all the discussion and questions on smoke factor I also like this idea.

I will vote how ever the club directs,

Please reply here.

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 07:26:14 PM »
I'd like to hear other opinions on Item 1, but my first reaction is that if a Junior is really capable of shooting Gunfighter style, he/she ought to shoot in the Gunfighter category.  This also keeps the rules for all "age-based categories" consistent in not allowing Gunfighter style.

What do others think?

AM

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 08:18:02 PM »
Power Factor / Blackpowder Smoke - Testing
   ... Testing of blackpowder rounds for the production of adequate smoke will also be conducted in a similar manner as described above. Rounds should be obtained from the shooters loaded firearms while at the loading table. The rounds should be fired in comparison to test rounds made using the following load data:
       - Standard .38 Special case
       - 125 or 158 grain bullet
       - Any common substitute

So the standard will be based on substitute black powder?  That sure doesn't seem right.  From what I understand, many of the "common substitutes" are super smokey.
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 08:55:23 PM »
What I am reading on the Forum is that item 1 would allow GF style in Junior category. Right now I think it says they can shoot any style except for GF.

Mister Badly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 10:11:18 PM »
I agree with Anita. No Gunfighter in age based categories.  Jackalope I was shooting APP Saturday. I was using just over 1.3cc in my loads. That's all that would fit in my cases. Might try loading some 357s up. Lol.
Outlaw Jedi Gunfighter #322

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 11:56:53 PM »
So if you want to shoot GF you have to compete with the likes of Missouri Lefty and Sidekick until they age out of GF? Does not seem to encourage young shooters to try GF.

They have changed to due date on the vote until 1/30/23 so we will be holding a vote at our next shoot and I will tab it with the forum vote.

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 07:10:53 AM »
Item 1. Allowing Juniors to shoot GF in that category. This is being compared to B Western that allows you to shoot any style. They can shoot duelist now. They could just shoot in duelist category. I think it's a good idea to allow them to shoot GF. Let's them take the next step in their age group.

Item 2. As I don't practice the black art, I would have to abstain
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Ringer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 12:55:38 PM »
1. No

2. No
Requirement for the test round isn't specific enough.
As a former and occasional dabbler in the dark arts I see nothing wrong with the current rule.
I understand Goex is no more, but there are other real bp' s out there. 

Rowdy Rube

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 06:50:07 PM »
I can't seem to make-up my mind on the junior gunfighter issue...
I'm OK with the smoke test tho.

Randy Saint Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 04:05:57 PM »
My vote will be through Wartrace so I don't have a dog in the hunt here but I would like to offer a question? I have been undecided on this and leaned both way until I got to thinking about this. I know that as long as I’ve been in SASS we’ve had Junior shooters that were capable of being the Overall winner in any of the matches we have and I expect we always will have. My question is will a 16 year old Junior who is able to pick stages to shoot Traditional style or Gunfighter style depending on the stage have an advantage over a 17 year old shooter who has to pick Traditional style or Gunfighter style for the entire match, if both are in competition for the Overall Win?

Thanks

Randy