Author Topic: Ammo shotage?  (Read 1391 times)

Tombstone

• View Profile
Ammo shotage?
« on: January 28, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
There is some discussion on the SASS forum about the ammo shortage causing some to not shoot, are there alternatives? So I will open a discussion here at the local level.

Is anyone not shooting due to shortage yet?
Should we go back to 5 stages? Would that help or hurt attendance? 
Would anyone be interested in shooting 22's as match gun?
Categories that have reduced guns such as Rifle/Pistol, Rifle/Shotgun, Pistol/Shotgun, Shotgun/rifle/ one pistol.

These are some of the ideas being passed around at different clubs. I am not advocating for anything to change but if there is some folks that want to shoot but maybe not as much as we do, we will work with you.

Cumberland Mtn John

• View Profile
Re: Ammo shotage?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 03:44:23 PM »
Keep the six stages.  Allow 22s but keep the basic 10-10-4
and its' varieties.  My initial two cents worth.

CMJ

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 05:41:04 PM »
Keep the six stages.  Allow 22s but keep the basic 10-10-4
and its' varieties.  My initial two cents worth.

CMJ

I agree with John
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 08:12:20 PM »
I don't have a problem with mixing in .22's if need be. (Should go without having to say no.22 mag.)
Make a category, though many say they turn out not to be as fast as you might think.
A lesser number of guns for the stage doesn't bother me either, just have a plan of how to score it.
Harley.

Sam Buca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 09:07:31 AM »
I'm open to new ideas.  However I have one Very old 22 revolver. that hasn't been fired in over 40 years My other 22's are semi -autos
Sam Buca

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 10:31:38 AM »
A few ideas to save ammo...

A shooter has the option to skip a stage and take the 30 second penalty + misses.

A shooter also has the option to shoot only one handgun, skip the rifle, etc. and take the misses.  I doubt this would qualify as a Spirit of the Game penalty.

As a club...

We can run five scored stages and have an optional sixth stage for a side match scored separately.

We can throw in some retro stages with less than 10-10-4. 

Not all of the stages have to include two handguns, a rifle and a shotgun.

It's easy enough to work out details to include one or more rimfire categories.

In my opinion, if I'm going to the effort and expense of loading up and driving an hour to a shoot, I would prefer a minimum of six stages.

Let's hear your ideas!  I'll be putting together February's stages in the next few days.

Jackalope
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Cumberland Mtn John

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:26:18 AM »
I won't travel to shoot less than six stages and with less than four guns per stage.  I have too much travel time tied up.

CMJ

River Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 06:57:05 PM »
I began to get really busy and found other competing interests but one of the reasons I stopped shooting was I preferred 5 stages 

This is not to say that 6 stages are bad though    I will soon retire and hopefully be able to return to monthly matches

For me ---it was never really about the shooting but about the relationships
I would happily trade a few more minutes of conversation for a sixth stage but the game has evolved into what it is now and I understand

River Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 07:03:38 PM »
also----I would be interested in shooting a single handgun
I dont think SASS meant to require 4 guns but it did set a high bar for new shooters to get started because they thought needed 4 guns right away

In the early days some of us shot single handguns with reloads on the clock as a sub category
But then again I never really cared are about the scores
maybe I should audit a match like you can in a college  :)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:06:13 PM by River Jordan »

Ringer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »
I won't travel to shoot less than six stages and with less than four guns per stage.  I have too much travel time tied up.

CMJ

I won't travel unless I can eat Mexican after the shoot.

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 07:59:03 PM »
I could tolerate less shooting, if it involved more adult beverage consumption  ;)

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 07:03:39 AM »
Howdy,

How many folks are not shooting due to not having their normal center-fire ammunition ?? How many shooters are not shooting the Oak Ridge Outlaw matches as a direct result of ammo supply and not Covid? I have not been informed by anyone that they are not shooting due to an ammo shortage but do know of several people who are not shooting to avoid exposure to Covid. We have to identify the problem before making changes. 

Hasta Luego, Keystone
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 07:32:35 AM »
Keystone is right, if the problem does not exist then it does not need to be fixed. I also have not heard of anyone no shooting due to ammo shortage. I just wanted to throw the idea out there.
I am not for change myself.

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 11:26:30 AM »
Doesn't hurt to be thinking about this. Hopefully by this summer the virus will be under control and those not shooting because of it will be back. As for the ammo shortage, I think by this fall unless we start seeing primers etc could be the problem.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Turkey Creek Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
I am one of the people that will not shoot because of Covid. It has taken many of my family members. I feel like it would be playing Russian Roulette . Waiting to get my shots and than I will attend matches being very careful and still wearing a mask. Ammo is not a problem for me. Good luck to all that venture out and shoot.