Author Topic: Derringer  (Read 1342 times)

Jackalope

• View Profile
Derringer
« on: January 15, 2021, 02:27:07 PM »
I am interested in an old west-style over/under derringer.  Does anyone have any experience with them or recommendations?
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

TN Mongo

• View Profile
Re: Derringer
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 03:07:48 PM »
The best of the bunch are from Bond Arms.  They have an inexpensive model for under $300 now.  The inexpensive one is just as well made, but it has more of a matte finish.  Davis makes one that is looks similar to the original Remington, but it is not nearly well made.

Below is a link to Bond Arms:

https://www.bondarms.com/

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 07:23:55 AM »
Do you have any experience with Bond or Davis?  The Bond guns are pretty big and heavy.

Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7

Jim Mayo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »
I had a Bond in 45 Colt. Big and heavy. Traded it off. I acquired a Davis Industries DM-22 in 22Mag. It is in like new condition. Davis Industries is out of business and there is a recall on the model DM-22. Davis Industries is out of business.

DAVIS INDUSTRIES DERRINGERS
Model DM-22

WARNING: Davis Industries double barrel derringers Model DM-22, in 22 Magnum caliber with a cross bolt safety have been known to wear the shoulder of the hammer allowing the hammer to seat close to or on the firing pins when the safety is in the on position. The firing pins are free floating and do not have springs in them to prevent forward movement. This situation creates the potential for accidental discharge.

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 09:16:49 AM »
I own a Bond with .45 LC and .38 barrels.  Yes the Bond is on the heavy side, but they are like the Ruger of Derringers (they are over-built).  Also the trigger pull is a little stiff compared to a Colt style revolver.  That said, they are the strongest and most dependable derringers.  I have handled the Davis.  They are almost the exact size and weight of the Remington, but they have a spotty reputation of reliability and durability.  The original Remingtons fired a weak .41 rimfire and most of them never saw many rounds fired through them.

I bought the Bond thinking I might use it in a derringer match at a big shoot.  I don't think I'd carry it for self-defense; for the same weight, you could carry something else with several more rounds.   

Randy Saint Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 05:39:28 PM »
I have a Bond in 38 and they are solid built. I haven't been able to do it in a couple of years but 2 years in a row I cut the rope with it at the Tennessee State Match.  I haven't seen any others that were anywhere close to as well made as a Bond.

Randy

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 08:01:20 AM »
I've seen Randy shoot.  He could cut the rope with an old, rusty bent-barrel pistol with no sights.   :D

The idea of a derringer in .45 Colt that will also shoot .410 shotgun shells is interesting.  Since there isn't much grip to hang on to, is recoil reasonable?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:40:36 AM by Jackalope »
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7

Major Kettle Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 04:41:44 PM »
Hey Jackalope It kicks like a mule especially with the 410 but hey chances are your going to get off only one shot anyway.  Another consideration for the Bond Arms is you just replace the barrel for different calibers.

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 09:23:09 PM »
I figured recoil would be fairly stout...I also learned that the rifling on versions that also shoot .410 does not do a great job stabilizing .45 caliber bullets.  Probably not a big issue considering the intended use of such a gun.

I found a .357 Magnum American Derringer Corp version on Gunbroker.  It should be delivered in a few days.   :)
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 09:44:08 PM »
We expect a review on your new purchase. ;)

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 09:00:15 AM »
Well, it's been a while, but here is my report.

In my search for a derringer, I found one made by American Derringer Corp. in Waco, TX.  I got it at a good auction price on GunBroker.com from a seller in San Diego, CA.  The local FFL dealer I've done business with before has been closed due to covid and general nonavailability of ammo, etc., so I engaged with Frontier Firearms, another local gun shop in Kingston, TN, to do the transfer.  They directed me to their website where I provided the particulars about the seller and so on.  They emailed their FFL to the seller who promptly shipped the gun to them and sent me a tracking number for it.  The Frontier Firearms FFL transfer web site was adamant, stating in at least six prominent spots, "Do not call us.  We will contact you when your firearm is ready for pick up."  So...eight days after the USPS tracking number indicated my package had been delivered to them, I decided to hell with their directive and called to find out what was going on.  Long story short, the gun had been sitting there for 8 days.  Frontier claimed to have called and left a message but there is no record of it on my phone.  Anyway, I am now in the market for a new gun dealer.

This particular gun appears to be very well made, it has no rough edges and locks up tight.  The grips are very wide and have squarish edges on the back.  The gun has a super stiff trigger pull and very heavy mainspring.  The American Derringer is quite a bit smaller/lighter than the Bond, but a little bigger/heavier than a Davis derringer.  Mine is a stainless steel version with three inch barrels.

I took it to the back yard and tried a few shots.  With a light .38 Special target load, 3 grains of Bullseye and a 130 grain lead bullet, recoil seemed pretty tame.  It shot high, like maybe a foot at six yards.  Then it was time to try it with a black powder .38 Special load of 19 grains of FFFg and a 125 grain bullet.  That time, recoil did not seem so tame and it was super loud!  I am in no itching hurry to try full-power .357 Magnum ammo in it.

I also tried some "hornet" loads.  They were made with .357 Magnum cartridges, a Federal primer, 2 grains of Bullseye, a tissue paper wad and the rest of the case filled with crushed walnut shells.  They make a pretty good "pop" when they go off, they don't damage a painted surface, nor do they do much damage to wasps or carpenter bees.  I don't think I'll bother with anymore of them.

Until I make some more comfortable grips for it and lighten up the trigger pull, I'm reluctant to attempt shooting it over my chronograph.
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7