Author Topic: Jerry Harper,aka Vinagaroon (Updated 12-3)  (Read 2688 times)

Ocoee Red

• View Profile
Jerry Harper,aka Vinagaroon (Updated 12-3)
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »
I just spoke with Doubleagle Dave and he said he had just spoken with Owlhoot Hardin.

As most of our long time shooters know, Vinagaroon is a shooter that shot with us for many years and he is unfortunately in really bad shape and Owlhoot said he is in a coma now and he really doesn't expect him to live very long at all. I first was introduced to Jerry way back at the old Hickory Creek range back about 1999, one of the good guys.

Thoughts and prayers to Jerry and his family at this time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:51:22 PM by Ocoee Red »

Keystone

• View Profile
Re: Jerry Harper,aka Vinagaroon
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:12:25 PM »
Dang,

Sorry to learn he is near the end of his life. He was such a talented man. It was always a pleasure to be around Vinegaroon especially when he and Owlhoot were in the story telling mood. May God Bless his family during this most difficult time.

Vaya con Dios,
Keystone
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »
For new shooters who don't know him, Vinagaroon is one of the most gifted engravers in the country.  He is also talented in gunsmithing and leather.  That's on top of being a really good guy.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »
I had heard he was in a bad way. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Vinagaroon is a founding member of SMSS, an amazing engraver, story teller, history buff, teacher, tequila drinker, just an all around good guy. There are still a few of us who remember going to his farm to camp and shoot over a weekend. I have missed him over the years and hate to hear he has arrived at this point in his life. If this is indeed his time may he pass gently and peace to his family and friends.

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »
Vinegaroon  has always been a hero of mine. I have missed seeing him these last few years due
to deteriorating health. To say he is a master engraver would be an understatement. Like Owhoot,
Jerry always had style. And as has been said, Vinegaroon and Owlhoot together telling stories is
like nothing else.
A fine man and friend, so full of knowledge about many things. If he passes it will be a great loss.
Harley.

River Jordan

• View Profile
Re: Jerry Harper,aka Vinagaroon (Updated 12-3)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
He was a treasure to the founding of our club and the inspiration for many of us including myself. I used to call him frequently for Colt advice and he always had time for me. He taught me how to make one piece grips for one of my Colts and I still use it to this day.

We had our first match on his farm. It was a dry run before we went public with an official match. He was the authority on gunsmithing and tuning a Colt and a big influence on most of us.

Always a gentleman and a true scholarly man. He had a sense of the history and idea of the Old West behind the  game of SASS. Now we would call it " the Spirit of the Game". Back then it was more than a shooting competition but a tribute to the Spirit of the West or maybe the Cowboy Way. Vinegaroon will be missed.

CACTUSRED

• Cactus & Bullet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 11:31:37 AM »
Rest in Peace my Friend,
Some of my best cowboy memories include Vinagaroon.
He will always be part of my life and the lives of so many.
Outlaw & Imperial Gunfighter

Judge Duncan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »

He will be missed.

I remember sitting on the front porch at Possum Trot and listening to him an Owlhoots stories. What a treasure he was.

He had the most beautiful guns I have ever seen.

Critr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 07:08:09 AM »
Sorry to hear it. I really liked him..........
CRITR