Author Topic: Reloading Adventures  (Read 920 times)

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
Reloading Adventures
« on: September 05, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »
So I'm in to reloading.  A kind member of the our club put me in to a Dillon Square B.  Since I had never been close to a re-loader before have to say it appeared to be the most convoluted machine I ever set eyes on. Though my background is electronics I am reasonably mechanically minded, or so I thought.

A couple of days researching and playing (I have yet to reload anything live) I am at the point where I grasp the machine's process and have run blanks through it (no primers or powder) and am truly in awe at what this thing does.

As far as I can tell the die head was set to process .357 Magnum, the dies are common to a .38 Special, so I adjusted the powder funnel to obtain around 0.010 flare.  I had to lower, or adjust down, the seating stem, station 3 to seat the bullet correctly and all seems well.  My question is that the manual says to put a seated bullet in station 4 (crimper) lower the die until it just meets resistance with the lever down, lift up the lever and tighten down a 1/4 turn more.  this seems flaky at best.  So my question is where do I crimp relative to the top of the case?  Using flat nose lead with a recess just below the cone and a red (seal?) below it.  See attached pix.

Thanks for any input, promise not to use this stuff at the range until someone inspects it :)

Sorry to hear you folks were washed out today.

Sheriff Langston.
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Tombstone

• View Profile
Re: Reloading Adventures
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »
Sent you a PM.