• View Profile
Re: Bummer
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 07:46:39 AM »
Can I sign your cast?   ;)

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
So, some people have been asking me how this happened... 

I was shooting my 97 and after loading a shell over the top with my left hand, I was moving my hand down and forward to close the slide. On the way there, I hit the back edge of the front stock with the knuckle at the base of my little finger - sort of punching it with one knuckle.  I hit it hard enough to close the action, which as it turns out, is also hard enough to break a bone.  I have a long diagonal fracture of my 5th metacarpal.

I also realize now that I should have scored myself a SDQ for that stage as I did put the SG down closed, cocked and with a live round in it.  There was no way I could have opened it ... maybe I should have handed it off.

AM

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
Can I sign your cast?   ;)

I'd be insulted if you didn't!   ;D

Randy Saint Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
So, some people have been asking me how this happened... 

I was shooting my 97 and after loading a shell over the top with my left hand, I was moving my hand down and forward to close the slide. On the way there, I hit the back edge of the front stock with the knuckle at the base of my little finger - sort of punching it with one knuckle.  I hit it hard enough to close the action, which as it turns out, is also hard enough to break a bone.  I have a long diagonal fracture of my 5th metacarpal.

I also realize now that I should have scored myself a SDQ for that stage as I did put the SG down closed, cocked and with a live round in it.  There was no way I could have opened it ... maybe I should have handed it off.

AM

Maybe if you had declared "Broke" that would have negated any penalty? It works for a broke gun, why not a broke hand?

Randy

Hurricanecharly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »
That does suck. Sorry to hear that Anita
Hope you heal soon!

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »

Maybe if you had declared "Broke" that would have negated any penalty? It works for a broke gun, why not a broke hand?

Randy

I like it!  Would someone have to carry me to the unloading table?

Sam Buca

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 09:00:51 AM »
ONly if you had whined enough !! 

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »
Howdy Anita,

How is the injured hand doing? Missed y'all at the Rangers Match.

Hasta Luego, Keystone
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 08:13:55 AM »
Anita's hand is OK, still in a cast and cumbersome.  She hopes the doc can switch it to something more user friendly on May 10th.

I'd like to take a moment and thank all of you who so quickly volunteered me as chief cook and bottle washer around here.  Longshot Luther said he couldn't help me with the cooking much but would show me how to wash dishes.  I haven't seen him over here yet and the dirty dish pile is getting fairly big, so...

Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm sure you are cheerfully accomplishing your new domestic tasks. 

On a different note, because you were not there to distract him, Tombstone had laser focus at Saturday's match and was able to destroy me and earn a free beer.  Hopefully this will not be the case at next month's OR Outlaws match. ;)

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »
I just hope Anita Margarita's hand gets better so Jackalop can come back and shoot with us. ::)

Anita, I do hope you get a better cast on the 10th and will be able to get back at it ASAP.

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »
Give us an update Anita.

How are you progressing?

Sherif Langston
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
I got the cast off on the 14th.  The doc said the bone is not healed, but the edges of the break are "sticky" enough that they should stay together without the cast as long as I don't do anything stupid.  :o   

At least now I have a removable brace with velcro. (Yeah!)  I go back in mid-June for another x-ray.  My hand is very sore and think it is going to be a while before I can shoot, unfortunately.  But, we'll see.

AM
~ Trying hard not to be stupid....

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
Good to hear you are progressing though it seems, as I'm sure you feel, like a long recovery timeline.

Hope you can get some shooting in before it turns cold!  Either way follow doc's instructions. 

Wish you and Jackalope well.

Sheriff L.
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 06:03:49 AM »
Howdy Anita,

Sorry to hear you're on the slow wagon to recovery. Perhaps you'll return to shooting gunfighter with a stronger left hand.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

PS As Forest Gump says, "Stupid is as stupid does".
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel