Author Topic: Tips for New/Any Shooter  (Read 1917 times)

Fast Harley

• View Profile
Tips for New/Any Shooter
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
I  have never claimed to be a top shooter, however I am an experienced shooter.
Things being quiet on the forums I thought maybe this could be a good topic.
Here is my partial list of things for newer shooters if they want to do well.
1- Attitude. (A positive, friendly attitude helps in all things.)
2- You must have good ammo, meaning it should function well, consistently.  No need for heavy loads, unless it
is just your personal total preference, or category wise such as CHN.
3- You must have good gun leather. Using two hands to pull a gun from leather, which I did VERY briefly, just
doesn't get it. Being able to move without worry of losing a revolver due to movement is important.  We are
blessed with several folks, local area, who are genuinely great with gun leather.
4- This one took me three years to learn: you don't have to hit each target in the center! Hit it somewhere, each
time!
5- Don't wrap your thumb around the wrist of the rifle. Time consuming and not necessary at our distances. Also
took me three years to learn. Pleasant taught me that one.
6- You must have good equipment/firearms. I don't particularly subscribe to the "arms race" of all out or nothing,
but everything should be smooth and gunsmith worked at least for function .
7- The game is not about how well you shoot, or even how fast you shoot, it's about transitions; from gun to gun,
and position to position. Owlhoot taught me that one.
What would you say to a newer shooter?
Harley.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:55:10 AM by Fast Harley »

tyrel

• View Profile
Re: Tips for New/Any Shooter
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »
I'd tell them to go to at least 2 matches before they buy anything. Someone will have guns, leather and ammo they can use.

Critr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:03:06 AM »
On the first match, DON'T HURRY! ::) Hit the targets, get the sequence right, make your movements deliberate and efficient. ;D
CRITR

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »
What Tyrel said.

Would also mention that when folks offer to let you try their guns, etc., don't be bashful!  Try as many as you can before you pull out your wallet. 
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »
Good advice. L.K. and I bought multiple sets of handguns, rifles, AND shotguns!

In my first three years or so I shot mostly Classic Cowboy with HEAVY loaded .45's, 230 gr. bullets for pistols, 250 gr. for rifle.
I wrapped my wrists with leather before each match, (for the recoil.) Oddly, no one noticed my wrists were wrapped with leather.
In my defense, back then, sometimes you needed heavy loads to reach the targets.  ::) I still have lots of that stuff left in case the
elephants around here become rabid.  ;)
After that I went Gunfighter, but still with heavy loads. It was Rusty Spur Slim who finally got me to see that each time I stepped
down in caliber/load/ bullet weight, I missed less. Not always, but mostly these days I shoot .38's, 125gr. bullets.
Harley.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:08:56 AM by Fast Harley »

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
...back then, sometimes you needed heavy loads to reach the targets.  ::) I still have lots of that stuff left...

Now you're just giving the match director wicked ideas.   8)
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:59:23 PM »
 :o

Hurricanecharly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »
Neat topic Harley!
I agree  with all the advice given.
I would like to add that in my short time playing this game(8 years) I would not like to be shot at by anyone new or experienced  in this game!
8 to 80 people can hit the targets no problem.
I would suggest once you follow the other advice and feel comfortable  with the rules and guns ect..., work on speed.
Everyone can hit the target but speed is something most people outside of competitive  shooting haven't thought about.
Ps Harley please stop giving the match director  ideas!

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 07:54:35 AM »
Jackalope, you don't need any help coming up with wicked ideas!

Ringer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »
And that's what started the gun fight!

Lightning McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 09:11:48 AM »
I would add if your a new and of course nervous you can ask the timer for his assistance. Many new Shooter appreciate that but you must ask . Experience shooter usually move too fast for the timer to do his job safely and still assist them. And many don’t want help because you might screw them up. Just my thoughts. Lightning 👍🤠

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »
To pile on what Lightning wrote without the input of the TO while shooting, the cowboys around me leaning in to offer their advice, I would not still be in the game.

Sheriff L.
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

tyrel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
Found this on Facebook,  it's pretty sound:

New shooter advice...from a new shooter. I’m not normally a Facebook poster, so bear with me.

I’m 3 months into the sport, I’ve shot 6 or 7 matches now and thought other new shooters might appreciate the perspective of a fellow newbie.

How to get started - go and watch, be friendly, respectful and ask questions. Go with a friend or by yourself, but just go watch. It took just once for me, watched 2 stages and I was hooked.

Everybody wants to know about what guns to buy - this is where I made my first mistake. After watching a bit of that first match I went off and started spending money...it turned out ok but I shouldn’t have done that. I’ve already sold the revolvers, shotgun and holsters for something different...and there’s a pretty good chance the rifle is next! I didn’t believe people when they said I could just show up and borrow guns, plus I felt guilty/awkward asking.

If I could go back and give myself a little advice it would be - buy a few boxes of 12ga shotgun shells (preferably light loads) and a few hundred loaded .38s from a reputable cowboy ammo vendor like “Bullets by Scarlett.”  People are likely to offer you their ammo as they don’t know you yet and don’t want you blowing up their guns with poorly loaded ammo, but if you have good trustworthy ammo, that would help. I’d start with 38s because that seems to be most popular and give you the best chance of having the right ammo for the guns you borrow. But at your first match ask about what caliber most people shoot in case it’s different in your area. Bring ammo and borrow guns (and leather) for several matches and see what you like.

While you are borrowing guns I recommend a few things - forget competition!  Just shoot smoothly, work the guns smoothly, set them down rather than drop them...try to shoot the match clean. You’re not there to win, you’re there to learn and to earn trust. As people see you are safe, respectful and interested, they will go a long way to try and help you out. If you want to know something...ask someone. After a while, you’ll know what to do and what to buy. Now get out there and HAVE FUN!

Outlaw Sam Bass

• Ain't nothin' better'n a fresh $20 gold piece!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 11:27:14 PM »
If you buy ammo; regardless of caliber, it must be lead bullets ( not jacketed). Checkered rounds are not allowed or save it the distances we shoot.
Outlaw Sam Bass