Author Topic: Federal Court holds no 2nd Amendement right to bear arms  (Read 858 times)

Jackalope

• View Profile
Re: Federal Court holds no 2nd Amendement right to bear arms
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:34:08 AM »
Well, the title of this thread is not exactly what the court ruled.

"The federal appeals court ruled on Thursday that there is no Second Amendment protection for concealed weapons -- allowing states to prohibit or restrict the public from carrying concealed firearms."

"The opinion does not say concealed weapons are unconstitutional, nor does it make any decisions about openly carrying weapons in public."

That quote is from CNN's website.  Will be interesting to see if it's challenged....

Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

El Paso Slim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:19:48 AM »
True, but the dissent ruled it is a substantial restriction of the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. It then becomes a matter of open carry, which is illegal in California. So I cannot see how you can access your 2nd Amendment right to bear arms in San Diego.

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
Wonder if someone could challenge the open carry ban based on their county's ban on concealed carry. 

In the county we last lived in (El Dorado) in CA, getting a concealed carry permit was not terribly difficult, especially if you lived in a rural part of the county.

AM

El Paso Slim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
That would be worth pursuing.

Turkey Creek Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 06:50:44 PM »
Just my 2c

Turkey Creek Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
Well open carry will just give the bad guys the opportunity to take your gun away by a back door move. You will not see it coming. If you are ever in a life and death encounter and you will need your weapon to save your life, you can bet that the court will not be there you save you.  Trust me I have been there. In my opinion the ruling is wrong and I will carry  as I see fit. I refused to give up my life to some dirt bag. After 3 tours in Nam, I will take my chances with a jury. This is why we need to elect Trump to appoint a Supreme Court to over turn these rulings. This election is so important. It comes down to Clinton or Trump. Nothing is perfect . But the police are just minutes away when you have seconds to make a judgement call. We are lucky that  we live in TN and have a CC  law.