Author Topic: Advice for a newbie  (Read 1400 times)

Beancounter

• View Profile
Advice for a newbie
« on: June 18, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »
I had the pleasure of stumbling upon you cowboys (and girls) at the end of May at ORSA. I thoroughly enjoyed myself as I watched you go through your paces with such speed and accuracy.  I was especially impressed with some of you riflemen and I think this is where I want to start my journey into cowboy action shooting.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Cimarron 1873 in the caliber and with the barrel length I desire. The wrinkle: it's been modified for SASS with a custom trigger and short stroke action job.

Since this will be my first rifle purchase (ever), I am wondering if I'm jumping the gun (pun intended) by buying a rifle that's been fine-tuned for SASS competition. Or would I be better off purchasing a "stock" rifle and train with it before moving on to a more enhanced firearm?

I'm grateful for any advice you can pass along.

Keystone

• View Profile
Re: Advice for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 04:29:54 PM »
Howdy & Welcome,

I'm a fan of the "73 Winchester rifles for cowboy action shooting. My opinion is you just saved yourself from having to go thru two learning processes. One just shooting a stock "73 and  then the 2nd to learn to shoot a modified rifle. Might want to be cautious with the trigger until your sure of how much pressure it takes to drop the hammer. Hope to see ya at he July Outlaws match. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

P.S. Come on out on the next setup day and give it a try on some cowboy targets.
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
If it were I, I would want to know who did the action job.  It would also be nice to cycle some dummy rounds through it to make sure it is functioning properly.

Beancounter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
Good point. Thanks.

From a training or learning standpoint, what do you think about using this modified rifle vs one that has not been improved for competition?

Beancounter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 08:20:33 AM »
I like that thought, Keystone. Why go through two learning curves when you need to go through only one. Thanks.

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Howdy Beancounter,

The game can be played to suit your desires. Will you be happy to shoot cowboy guns & have fun or does the thrill of competition interest you? A tuned firearm is pleasurable to shoot either way but is necessary to be competitive as the folks you will be competing against for top honors will be armed with tuned firearms. I'm not a top competitor but all my cowboy firearms have been tuned and some have been modified. The '73's have been tuned & short stroked. My pistols & shotguns have all been tuned. Hope to see ya on the range.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel