Author Topic: Ringer has Joined the Heavenly Posse  (Read 746 times)

Keystone

• View Profile
Ringer has Joined the Heavenly Posse
« on: May 08, 2023, 09:48:09 AM »
Ringer needs our prayers for healing & recovery due to severe complications following a routine medical procedure.

Vaya con Dios, Keystone

UPDATE: Ringer passed away yesterday.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 12:50:09 PM by Keystone »
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
Re: Prayers for Ringer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 12:26:30 PM »
Prayers up for Ringer.
We got word he was having problems when he had to  cancel coming to the Alabama state match

Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Tearin up Jake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 12:19:36 PM »
Get well soon Ringer.

Mister Badly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 04:29:17 PM »
Praying for you Ringer.
Outlaw Jedi Gunfighter #322

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 06:22:56 PM »
Hope you are getting better, Ringer!

AM

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 06:15:51 PM »
Just received this email from Lil' Weasel concerning Ringer
Please keep him in your prayers.

Hey Pardner,
As you probably know by now Ringer was hospitalized recently. He had a
routine colonoscopy and had a couple of polyps removed. That resulted in
some internal bleeding which wasn't discovered for several days. He
almost bled out. I received a text from him Sunday evening requesting
prayers and saying he was still in the hospital and they were going to
remove his colon and his appendix.
I got the word out to folks I knew would pray for him.
I sent him a text Monday indicating that many, many people and churches
were praying for him.
He responded "It's working. I have already had five bowel movements."
I was guessing about the colon and appendix removal at that time but no
other info was forthcoming.
I have sent him subsequent texts asking what hospital he was in and if
he was doing any better with no response.
I just sent him another message about an hour ago telling him that
certain cowboys were inquiring about him and would be praying for him. I
also mentioned in the text that everyone is asking for info. I told him
that my response to the requests for info was that "you would share more
info when you were feeling up to it."
He texted me back .... "getting worse."
I am VERY concerned for him at this point. If you are a praying person
PLEASE pray for Ringer. His name is Gary Douthat. After you pray....
pray again.
Thank you.

Lil' Weasel
aka Rufus Hurt
SASS Life 61585
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 06:23:44 PM »
Got an update about Ringer's condition from Lil' Weasel

Hey Pardner,

I went to see Ringer today. He is very weak and is not feeling well at all. I have to say he does not look good in his face. His voice was weak and I had to listen very carefully to hear what he was saying. I didn't stay too long as I could tell it was draining him to carry on a conversation.

He has had surgery to remove a damaged section of his colon that had a hole in it. The section was removed and the remaining healthy sections of his colon were reattached. His appendix was also removed. He does not have a colostomy as some of us feared. His colon is in tact and functioning it's just missing a small section.

He had lost a great deal of blood before being admitted to the hospital as a result of the damaged colon so he has had blood transfusions. He has also had multiple bags of clear fluids and is still receiving these fluids.

He told me that his numbers (vital signs) were good at first but now his blood pressure has dropped and they are having trouble getting it up. Also, his kidneys stopped functioning today so they were getting ready to take him to dialysis. His doctor said this was a temporary procedure and he would not be on dialysis for the rest of his life so he was please to hear that.

Dialysis, as you know, filters impurities out of the blood. Most who have it are weak and feel bad before but feel better afterwards. I'm hoping this will be the case for Ringer.

I told him many in Tennessee and North and South Carolina were very concerned about him and were praying for him. He said to tell you to keep the prayers coming and double down on them. Those were his words.

I prayed for him before I left and the last thing he said was “keep the prayers coming.”

I will check on him again but not right away. He needs to get some strength back before receiving more visitors IMHO.

Take care,

Lil' Weasel

aka Rufus Hurt

SASS Life 61585
Jedi Gunfighter #287
Wyatt Earp

Sam Buca

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 10:25:38 AM »
Ringer, prayers are come to you.
Sam Buca

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 01:46:31 PM »
Wow! I just saw this.  I'm very sorry to hear this news.  Praying for a good outcome.

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 07:57:16 PM »
I'm a bit out of the loop, but let me add good thoughts and wishes from Kiss and I for Ringer, and all other
cowboys down.  We've known Ringer a long, long time.

River Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 08:39:33 PM »
praying

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 05:32:11 PM »
Got an update from Lil' Weasel

Hey Pardner,

I visited Ringer today and he was a thousand percent improved from just a few days ago!

He was sitting up in a rocking chair and was just finishing up some physical therapy. He was doing the exercises just fine. His eyes were clear and bright, his voice was strong and his energy level was vastly improved. His blood pressure is normal and his kidneys are functioning good now and after three dialysis treatments he is completely through with that. He indicated that he really wanted to go home. I stayed longer to chat this time as I did not feel like my visit was exhaustive for him.

In conclusion I am very much encouraged about his condition and I am confident that he is going to continue to improve. He, along with the rest of us was not sure that this was going to be the case just a few short days ago.

He is very thankful for your prayers and wants you to continue please.

My best to you,

Lil' Weasel

aka Rufus Hurt

Sass Life 61585

Get Outlook for Android ::)
Jedi Gunfighter #287
Wyatt Earp

Longshot Luther

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »
Very thankful for the healing and answered prayers. Let’s keep it going.

Lil Weasel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 07:56:22 AM »
Yesterday morning was a jaw dropping shock to everyone as the news of Ringer's passing began to make it's way across the area. Our match was getting under way like so many I suppose... fun, smiles, camaraderie. Johnny Morris, who's picture is in the dictionary next to “fun”, decided to call Ringer, whom we were certain was home from the hospital by now, and ask him “Hey, where are you? We're about to start this match!” That's when the bottom fell out of everything. His wife answered his phone and tearfully informed us that Ringer had passed away this morning (5/20/2023). Montana Hannah erupted in sobs and tears... silence fell upon the rest of us. 

There are simply no words to express the huge void that now exists, not only in our sport, but in the hearts of countless shooters across Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia. He was one of the most widely known and admired shooters in the entire SASS community. Gary Douthat was a man of faith and God's gain is our loss. His wife Julia said that they had both decided some time ago that neither wanted a memorial service when they passed so there are no plans for a service at this time. Julia is devastated as you can imagine. Please keep her in your prayers.

God bless
Lil' Weasel
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:02:09 AM by Lil Weasel »

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 08:17:27 AM »
I'm just in shock.  What terrible news.

AM