Author Topic: On the Road Again  (Read 4810 times)

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
Re: On the Road Again
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »
Tombstone, sometimes the internet can be your friend:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=107

The one called Trail of the Mountain Spirits Byway looks nice.  :)

Stay safe.

AM

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 07:33:46 PM »
We have done that one I do believe. Last year. We have had a blast even without the loops. We were in Chloride NM this afternoon, which is a ghost town now. The lady that lives there and runs the museum said NM is the only state that has State Highways that are gravel. She said they were well maintained gravel and I told her they were still gravel and hard on two wheels. Of course Doc had PTSD when we hit gravel after Wartrace. He is in therapy for it and hopefully will get over iy eventually.   

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
On Sunday Doc and I had the bikes detailed. Yes we paid someone to wash, wax and polish our bikes. Well worth the $50 each and man they look great. I think a clean bike rides better than a dirty bike but that’s just my opinion. Anyway, pretty cloudy yesterday morning but got nice in the afternoon so Doc and I rode our clean bikes to a ghost town called Chloride NM. It was a silver mining town until the silver ran out a few years back. One of the mines was owned by one of the Hunt brothers back when the brothers tried to corner the silver market. The general store was owned by the James family (different James family than the famous James family.) The family decided to move and just boarded up the store and left with everything still in the store. Seventy years later someone bought up most of the town to try to preserve some of the history and reopened the store as a museum with all the items that were left behind. Some very interesting items and a large piece of history. It was lots of fun to walk around the store and the small town. I think the population is 13 or 14 now.

Last night it rained on our nice clean bikes, I think Doc and I will try to sell our services as rain makers. Just clean our bikes and we will leave them out in the open. We will bring the rain it seems. Today we have a long ride planned a little south of Elephant Butte but still back into the Gila National Forest. That place is huge and beautiful. So far this trip we have seen Pronghorn Antelope, Mule Deer, Llamas (not form here) a huge flock of Sandhill Cranes, another flock of Whooping Cranes, a Golden Eagle, numerous Hawks a few suicidal squirrels and few other critters that may have escaped my memory at this time. Hoping to see more today since the hunters will be out of the forest.

Hope everyone is enjoying our journeys, we sure are and I have fun writing about them. Helps keep the memories fresh in my mind. We did notice the cold finely got to east TN and has moved away from our area at least for a while. We have heard for Roma Jane and Long Gulch, they should arrive in Tombstone today along with Hombre Sin Nombre. We should get there tomorrow early afternoon for more adventures in the Town Too Tough to Die.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 11:33:16 PM »
Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #13: Today at 11:32:09 PM »
   ReplyReply Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
Today Doc and I rode way to long but had a great day at it. We only rode 220 miles but it took us 6 hours of ride time to do it. If we had been on interstate or straight highways we would have ridden about 400 miles. We rode from Elephant Butte all the way to Silver City, did a loop over there that we had ridden before hoping to see Elk but we did not. We did ride Hwy 152 which goes through the Gila Forest and across a huge mountain range. We climbed from about 5000 ft to about 8000 ft in 15 miles or so. The road made the Dragon look like a beginners ride. The road is about 70 miles long with the first 15 or so miles from each end pretty flat. That is where the flat part ends. One of the strangest things or at least to me it is strange is that there are no trees on the side of the road and no guardrails. It is just a small shoulder and then nothing but drop. Sure makes you pay attention to what you are doing. The vistas were beyond spectacular. Between the rock formations and the drop off into deep gorges it was breath taking. We missed a lot I am sure due to having to focus so much on the road itself. This is also the area that had the Silver Fire back in 2013; I think the final burn was about 600,000 acers or about 127 square miles. You could still see the burns on the Ponderosa Pines that survived. Many did not.  The vegetation is just beginning to recover with small scrub bushes everywhere. We did see some Fox Squirrels and I saw a Road Runner which is always fun. Other than being in the saddle too long it was a great trip.

Tomorrow we are heading into Tombstone and will meet up with Long Gulch, Roma Jane and Hombre. I am sure our crew will have a big night on the town and end up at the 4 Deuces before calling it a night.

Hope everyone is well, I will report on Tombstone tomorrow. Cant wait to get back there, it is always like coming home to me. Also get to see a lot of folks I only see out here.

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 08:02:19 PM »
Glad everyone has made it into town.
Regarding the wildlife: I have made two shorter trips, and two very long trips out west.
Folks always told me about the vast numbers of animals I would see. Huh
Other than a couple of armadillo, (dead,) and common varieties, (rabbits, crows, buzzards,)
virtually nothing. Always wanted to see a roadrunner, too much Wile E. Coyote as a kid, I
guess, but NO.
However, on my last trip to Tombstone,(2016,) we saw deer, raccoons, and more inside of
town, near our hotel door. Also heard coyotes, and owl that had to be six feet tall.
Go figure.....
Good shooting, all.
Keep posting.
Harley.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
Made it into Tombstone on Tuesday around noon and got set up between storms. Yes, Doc and I can bring rain to the dessert. Rained hard for about 5 hours. We swam into town for dinner at the Longhorn. It was funny, we knew at least 80% of the folks who walked in behind us. I love this town and this shoot. We visited our regular haunts after dinner, Doc Holidays, Big Noes Kates. The crew was exhausted so we headed back to camp. Realized it was only about 7:30 local time and knew I could not stand not going up to the 4 Deuces for a night cap. Doc and I walked up to the Deuces and had a drink, talked to a few locals and headed back home. I made it until 9:00 before I had to lie down, I hate this time zone. Takes me too long to acclimate to it. I can go to bed pretty much local time but I still wake up on our time. Makes for an early morning.

Speaking of mornings, woke up this morning and after the sun came up, it was clear and bright. A little wet but will be beautiful. Slightly cool at 45 degrees but will be in the 70’s this afternoon. Took the dogs for a walk down Allen Street. Fun to walk the historical area before many folks are out and nothing is open.

We are heading to the range this morning to get registered and check out Lady T tent. Then we are heading to Bisbee for our annual visit to the copper city. Lady T loves the consignment shops that go on for every and pretty easy to find me if I get lost.

I will let you know how the range looks, I understand there was water running though the vendor area and a small ravine we have to go through to get there. I hope it is dried out some or we may have to leave the bikes on one side and walk across to the registration tent.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 01:13:45 AM »
Well I guess I have a little catching up to do.

Today was the first day of the match so I had better start with side-match day. Or maybe with Wednesday our trip to Bisbee which has become a regular trip each year. The town had not changed much of course but is always a fun place to visit. The shops are too much fun to walk through; a lot of them are consignment shops with lots of old relics and pocket watches, spurs and other old cowboy items. Had lunch with Shamrock Sadie and Knott Hardly Done, who are on my posse this match. Had a good trip and returned to Tombstone. Got registered and got my first look at our posse. I hate we have lost so many of our TN and KY shooters, I have Tex and Cat Ballou with the Wild Bunch. Also have Sassy, Sadie, and many other great shooters on the posse. I am trying to show Tex how Outlaw shooting is done in our area. They are talking about coming to the Tennessee State next year. Told them that would be great if they would.

Side match is one stage with all three speed events going on all day. Lots of fun but only the first run counts so after that I start playing with head shots and crossing guns. Just playing and being the ambassador for Outlaw shooting. Shoot what they call the Bordertown Blast which is 4 stages. Lot of fun and I have to say the targets have moved in a little closer this year. I did not think it was possible but the targets may be too close. They just keep creeping closer each year. I think the pistol targets are about 2 yards out and the rifle targets are not much further. Actually there are a few R/P targets that may be about 3 yards out. Had a few misses on the blast due to playing too much and rushing to get to the Posse Marshall walk through.

We have about 28 on our posse so needing to move the masses quickly. Stages are quick, targets are close and if something could go wrong it did. It seemed to be nonstop problems from having problems with getting shooters to load, to guns breaking, timers messing up, spotters giving wrong info such as target up when it was down, dang it was a hard day for the PM. Hombre had a bad first stage and Doc had a bad day all the way around. Got through the day and had dinner at the camper with Titus, Fanny Kicker, Hombre, Doc, Honey, Lady T, Roma Jane, Long Gulch and myself. Stayed out of town this evening for some reason, maybe due to getting up at 5 o’clock this morning. So another day tomorrow with the other 6 stages. By the way, I have some really fun new sweeps to try on you all. I will get with our master Stage Writer and see if we can incorporate them in some of our next shoots.

I will let you all know how the end game works out after the dust settles tomorrow. Dang targets are close. Almost like they are daring you to miss.

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 06:20:44 AM »
Hope Y'all have a better day today. Say "Howdy" to Hombre for me. Hasta Luego, Keystone
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 12:55:37 AM »
Its all over even the crying. Scores have not been posted yet but I expect them to be soon. The second day went a little better that the first but it was still a brutal day. I ended up with two misses, this first one was caused by a squib. Titus was running the timer and we both saw the bullet barely make it to the base of the target. It was sad to watch. Not much I can do about a squib and it has been a few years since I had one. The second miss was totally on me, although I do think the target ducked just as I pulled the trigger. We all went over for the Man on Man challenge and they also had a knock down challenge which I had to try a few times. It was a lot of fun but they had split the pistols and had about 10 shotgun knockdowns including a flyer so only tried it twice. First time I only had one miss but the second run I started dropping shotgun shells while I was loading the SG so I knew I was not going to have enough shells to finish the stage. Had a haul get stuck so just decided to save some rounds and declared broke gun and went to the unloading table.

The awards went well, we had quite a few of our posse members take first in their category. They read off the top 16 ladies and men in order. I don’t remember the men except Cody James won by about 30 seconds and Oklahoma Dee was second, however the top three ladies were Sassy Dancer, Shamrock Sadie and Renegade Roper in that order and all three of them were on our posse. The ladies kicked some serious butt and it was amazing to watch. Long Gulch was 5th in his category; Roma Jane was 10th what a clean match. I think Titus was 4th in his. Fanny Kicker had her first clean match. I was able to take home 4th in Gunfighter with my two misses. I did get a look at the final standings and found out that raw time I would have been 2nd right behind Lasseter. It was still the best I have been able to do out here and with the posse I had I was happy with 4th. Did I mention the posse was huge? It was the hardest I have ever had to work being a Posse Marshall. Anyway, very nice awards and gaining on the man in black. Maybe next year will be my year. Still do not have a clean match pin from Bordertown.

We will be coming back next year; they are talking again about making this a 3 day match instead of two. I told Bobcat Brian and Blackjack Zack that it would be a humane thing to do. 6 stages in this heat and dry air really suck it out of you. I had a good visit with Tex and am trying to get him to come to the Tennessee State next year. I guess I should get with Papa Dave and let him know the invite has be extended. We are going to stay in Tombstone an extra day and Doc and I will take a long ride tomorrow. I think then we are headed up towards Phoenix for a few days and maybe shoot next weekend before heading east. Although the shoot we are looking at is having its annual match and the stages are pretty strange. One has a 5 round pistol reload and speed stages in the string of stages including a 10 round shotgun stage. Defiantly different but we may give it a try anyway.

Scores should be posted soon I hope. See everyone in a few more weeks. I think we should be back in time for our next match at the Outlaws.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 01:03:57 AM »
Bordertown scores are posted

http://www.bordertowncas.com/2018.php

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
I really enjoy reading your reports.

If everything works out, I will be attending next year.  Long Gulch needs someone to keep an eye on him because, as of now, Roma isn't going.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »
We are now in Apache Junction, Arizona, just outside of Phoenix.  We plan to shoot a match on Saturday and then start back East. Should be back in time to shoot with The Oak Ridge Outlaws by the second Saturday. The match we are going to out here sounds like a lot of fun but very old school. There is a five round reload on one stage with speed stages between the regular stages. Sassy Dancer got us to come up and we will be shooting with her and Windy City Red. Should be fun after the ridiculously close targets at Bordertown.

Just when we think we have seen the best this area has to offer we find a new road to try. Yesterday we rode on Hwy 88 out of Apache Jct up past the Lost Dutchman mine. It was the most beautiful scenery we have seen so far. Deep gorges, thousands and thousands of Saguaro Cactus, vistas that would distract a lesser man. A beautiful lake at the end of the road. Also another sign that said Dirt Road next 22 miles. That is where we turned around. This road goes into the Superstition Mountains where the Lost Dutchman Mine is rumored to be. There are still thousands of people each year that go into the mountains to search for the mine. The closest thing we have to this kind of road would be something like Little River Road, picture the rock clifts on one side and instead of the river there would be 300 to 500 feet gorges on the other side. If you went wrong to one side you would hit solid rock cliffs and if you went wrong to the other side you would not stop falling for a long time. Plenty of pull offs so we could let others pass and also get a good look at the scenery. It was so pretty we met the ladies for lunch and talked them into riding back with us so they could see the views too. They both said it was well worth it.

Today we plan to ride the other way and go to the other end of the dirt road which ends at the Roosevelt Damn and Roosevelt Lake which is the largest lake in Arizona. We ride over a beautiful suspension bridge and head on up into more of the Superstition Mountains. This is some beautiful land out here. If you ever get a chance to see it you should take it. Well worth the trip out and time spent exploring.
The places we stay most of the time have little cabins if folks don’t camp and the scenery would be almost as good from a car as from the bikes. Good times and it is awesome to see.

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 02:23:37 PM »
After getting laid off at Palo Verde Nuclear Plant, and before finding another job, we would spend a lot of time in the area around Apache Junction and Superstition Mountains. Lot to see and only cost was gas to get there. If I remember the Salt River is there and they have several dams. It is beautiful country. Been over 30 years since I was there. Bet it hasn't changed all that much.   
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »
It begins to feel as if I may never shoot Bordertown, again. We had a plan for next year, but it
seems that, already, that has fallen through. Not to say that I won't ever visit the town, (too
tough to die,) once more.
There is a feeling in Tombstone, Az. that is subtle, but there just the same. Not everyone can
sense it, (I don't think L.K. can.) No doubt our own Tombstone can, and others.
So many, mostly younger people in their prime sought their fortunes, or met their deaths, there,
what remains is an energy, unexplainable, but true.
Small town, big deeds, and it lives!
Harley.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 07:38:29 PM »
We had a great time at the match on Saturday, it was a “fun” match as they kept calling it so I tried to make it as fun as possible. They had a 10 round speed shotgun stage, too funny watching and shooting that many rounds as a speed stage. They also had a stage with a Texas Star (rifle), 10 pistols, 8 shotguns that included 4 knockdown and two poppers, they used charcoal as the flyers. You had to shoot from 5 different positions and the shotgun was split with the rifle and pistols. They had a stage with a five plate knock down for the pistol and 5 knockdowns for the rifle with the other five rounds from each gun going on an alibi target. Each round on the alibi target was a one second bonus. The knockdowns were no larger than 5 inches. It only took me 7 rounds to knock down all five plates. I was pretty happy with that. Most stages had common rifle/pistol targets so a little far for pistols but pretty close for rifle. They also had a speed pistol stage with 15 pistol rounds; you had to reload a full pistol. Pretty old school but we had a lot of fun. Over all we shot 7 stages.  After the match they had awards, door prizes, and dinner from Famous Dave’s. Sassy Dancer and Windy City Red came by the campground afterwards for a visit. First time I have been around them that did not revolve around a shoot. If you want to see the scores the webpage is

http://www.riosaladocowboys.com/monthly-scores.html

Annual match is the one we shot yesterday. About a third of the shooters were at Bordertown the week before so we knew plenty of the shooters. Including Shamrock Sadie and Knott Hardly Done. We found out they are moving to Arizona, they bought a place the day before and will moving out here in a few months.

We started the return journey this morning. It will take us about 4 days since none of us like to push hard anymore. We will average about 350 – 400 miles a day so should be back around Thursday in time to shoot on Saturday. I hope I have enough ammo left from the trip, not sure how much I had left in my reloading room. If you don’t hear any more on the thread it means it was an uneventful trip witch is the best kind. We did leave Apache Junction this morning and went across country to cut into the interstate. We climbed to 7700 feet at some point. The temps tonight will dip into the mid 20’s here. We are just west of Albuquerque and will be in Amarillo tomorrow night, not sure where we will be staying the other nights.
See everyone soon I hope.