Author Topic: Rules Wizard Exam - Question 3  (Read 1456 times)

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
Rules Wizard Exam - Question 3
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
This is Question 3.  If you have not read Questions 1 and 2, please read those threads first.

SASS Rules Wizard Exam - Question 3
------------------------------------------------

How many penalties and why?

You have considered throwing in the towel on this match, but heck, you paid your fee.  Let’s move on to Stage 3.

The stage instructions say to start with your hands on your hat, but you forget and are standing with your hands at your sides.

Beep!

You shoot the first 2 shotgun targets down on the right side of the berm, then load 2 more rounds and close the shotgun.  You realize that the next two shotgun targets are way over on the left side of the berm and if you don’t adjust your stance you will be shooting from a very awkward position. You shuffle from foot to foot to foot to get turned to a better angle and then shoot.  Shotgun targets are down.

You are required to carry the bag of gold with you to each shooting position, so you grab it and run to the next table, where you shoot your 10-shot rifle string correctly.

Then you run to table 3, pull your first pistol and have it cocked when you realize you forgot the bag of gold back on table 2.  You quickly lower the hammer and put the gun down on the table in front of you so you can run back to table 2 and get the bag before you complete the pistol sequence.

Stage over.  Go to the unloading table.

Your raw time is 29.82. What is the total time?  (Show your work)

A) 29.82
B) 39.82
C) 49.82
D) SDQ
E) MDQ
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:50:14 PM by Anita Margarita »

Jackalope

• View Profile
Re: Rules Wizard Exam - Question 3
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 07:44:48 AM »
Come on, folks.  Give this one a try.  I have a pretty good idea on it...
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 01:38:01 PM »
Ok, and without looking it up,  :)
moving with shotgun loaded and closed,  SDQ, i have first hand experience on this one.  ;)
He cocked the revolver and then de-cocked and set the gun down, so hammer is on live round. I am guessing MDQ on this one.  ::) 
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
Its OK to shuffle your feet to get a better stance or balance. You can not take a step to improve your position so no call on the feet movement with the closed shotgun
        "Shuffling" the feet to maintain balance or adjust shooting stance is allowed as long as the shooter does not actually change location.

This is where it gets a little questionable.

Shooter has a SDQ for de-cocking the pistol without positive indication form the TO.
          De-cocking may not be done to avoid a penalty if cocked at the wrong time, position or location once a round has gone down range.
          NO gun may be de-cocked on the line except by pointing it down range and pulling the trigger or while under the direct supervision of the Timer Operator. . (This requires a positive 
          indication/ acknowledgement from the TO to the shooter). The penalty for de-cocking is a Stage Disqualification.
          Once a revolver is cocked, the round under the hammer must be expended in order for it to be returned to a safe condition.

The Shooter would also have a SDQ for laying the revolver down with a live round under the hammer. Even with permission from the TO to de-cock the revolver. You still have to return the revolver to a safe condition. ie, on an expended round.
          Holstering or staging a revolver with the hammer down on a live round.

You can not have two SDQ on the same stage or this would end up being a match DQ.
So SDQ and a very stern warning about safety rules and why he would have been DQ even if had a positive indication from the TO.

Keeps getting worse for this poor fellow/lady.

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 01:35:38 PM »
I was confused on this one as I did not know if you could get two SDQs on one stage (1-decocking without permission and 2-letting a gun with a live round under the hammer leave your hand) equaling a MDQ.

Theoretically if you get an SDQ, the stage is supposed to stop, so you would not have the opportunity to get another one, but clearly it does not work this way in reality.  On the one hand, it is overboard to pile on the penalties?  But on the other hand, one SDQ shouldn't give you a free pass on other unsafe acts....  What if then on the way to the unloading table, he drops an unloaded gun?

It seems vaguely like I have heard this issue discussed before, but don't remember the outcome.

AM

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
I went ahead and posted on the TG forum. I will let you know what the masses say and I hope PW will weigh in.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
According to Pale Wolf you can get two SDQ on the same stage resulting in a MDQ. As Anita pointed out, shooter is still responsible for all actions and calls until they are cleared at the Unloading table.

The shooter is still liable for additional penalties on the stage after being SDQd until all firearms have been cleared at the ULT.

(e.g. sweeping others as in Two Dot's example; dropped firearms; failure to comply with ULT procedures; etc.)

Two separate SDQ-able offenses (separate actions) = MDQ.

The only time 2 SDQs do not = MDQ is when the violations are simultaneous (e.g. breaking the 170 + sweeping someone with an unloaded firearm).

As the question is written this would have resulted in a Match DQ. So sorry, take your guns to you vehicle please, come back and help the posse.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:20:50 PM by Tombstone »

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »
Well, that makes sense, I guess.  Looks like our poor shooter is done for the day. 

I wonder what will come up in Question #4?

AM