Author Topic: Reloading Shotgun Shells (Advice)  (Read 234 times)

Major Kettle Hill

• View Profile
Reloading Shotgun Shells (Advice)
« on: April 14, 2021, 05:55:32 AM »
I've begun the process of reloading shotgun shells (well I've ordered a Lee Load-All 2 Shotshell Press)
Now, for the advice part...what else do I need?
Primers...recommended brand and sources to purchase
Powder...I have TrailBoss and planned to use that
Wads...recommended brand/style and sources to purchase
Lead Shot...ditto as Primers and Wads
Hulls...find em where I can as I have some to recycle.  Are there some that are better than others??
What else would be helpful/useful?

Jackalope

• View Profile
Re: Reloading Shotgun Shells (Advice)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 07:22:10 AM »
First suggestion...find a shotshell reloading manual.  I know Lyman publishes a good one and I bet there are a bunch of others available on the internet.  Get one and study up on it.  It will recommend that you follow the recipes suggested without change.  The loads they publish will be safe...the loads suggestions you get on facebook, etc.,...maybe, maybe not.
 I don't know if TrailBoss has an application for shotgun shells but you will find out in a reloading manual.

I understand that primers and powder are hard to find lately.  Wads can be found from Graf & Sons website at a pretty reasonable price.  Purly makes some nice shot.  Hulls are a matter of preference.  I have good luck with Remington STS.  Some folks like Winchester AA hulls.  Most prefer smooth hulls, but I'm not certain that's a big deal.

Good luck!

p.s.  Get a reloading manual first. 
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Keystone

• View Profile
Re: Reloading Shotgun Shells (Advice)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 04:46:38 PM »
Howdy, the following is my limited experience. I'm currently loading 7/8 oz. of #7-1/2 shot with Claydot powder using a MEC 650 and a separate MEC Super Sizer to resize shells prior to reloading. The MEC 650 doesn't resize shells. I inspect shells & wipe them clean with a used silicone impregnated gun cloth prior to reloading.

Primers = Winchester 209 (there are several others)
Powder = Green Dot, Clays & Claydot (never tried Trail Boss)
Wads = Winchester & Clay Buster (appropriate for desired amount of shot)
Shells = Green STS are great but hard to find. Use Red AA Winchester with very good results.
Shot = #7-1/2 or #8 from various mfg. as available. (currently using 7/8 oz.)

Check manufactures recommendation for powder charge with selected shot amount & other components. Trail Boss is a Hodgdon product.
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel