Author Topic: Workin' up brass...........  (Read 944 times)

Critr

• View Profile
Workin' up brass...........
« on: August 17, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
Decided to clean brass this week. Using Frankfort Arsenal  wet tumbling with stainless steel pins, cleaned 3 batches (9 pounds each batch). Two batches of 38 Special and one batch of 45 Colt. That is 27 pounds of brass.

Each batch was run through separator to separate the pins and excess water from the brass, then spread to dry for at least 2 nights per batch.

All 45 Colt brass was sized, and almost half the 38 Specials , so far.

All 45 Colt brass was inspected and then primed with my Sinclair hand primer. This is a slow process, but considered one of the most critical for producing good, dependable ammo. Each case is primed only after a careful examination.. The Sinclair tool is adjustable for seating depth below case head, and is accurate to less than a thousandths of an inch. NO HIGH PRIMERS are possible!

I'll start priming the 38's next week...………...
CRITR

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
Re: Workin' up brass...........
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »
Critr,

I'm on a parallel journey. 

Got a hold of a Frankford Arsenal tumbler this week.  I've put a bunch of brass through it, 38 - 45 colt - 38-55 and 45-70.  Excellent results if you, like me, want shiny brass with really clean primer pockets.

I also invested in the Frankford Arsenal dryer,  It is a stacked system with the heater on the top.  Frankly really flimsy plastic however it does work well. 

I'm hand priming everything except my .38's which I do on my Dillon SDB with so far no problem.

Only comment on the tumbler is that  I had a tough time getting the end caps on tight enough to be watertight. Ended up using a bar clamp, the kind you use to hold wood together when you glue, to give me leverage.

See Ya next match!

Sheriff L.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:03:02 PM by Sheriff Langston »
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

leadhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 12:51:30 PM »
Hey guys, be sure to check the flash holes for stuck pins. I use the Thumler Tumbler unit and ALWAYS find a few cases with pins stuck in the flash hole. And that is after giving the brass a really rough tumble. It adds another step to the process but I still like the pin tumbler system best. Never a leak from mine after using it for several years.
My Hornady progressive loader seats primers really good and will either not rotate or drag when rotating a high primer to the next station. not sure if it was designed to do that but it is a good feature.
Happy loading
Leadhead

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 02:59:42 PM »
Thanks Leadhead. 

I also learnt the lesson (as in why did I do this?) not to tumble multi-calibers at the same time.  The babies get stuck inside the big ones :(

Hope to see you both next shoot!

Sheriff Langston.
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger