Author Topic: Various Thoughts and Cogitations, New Version  (Read 10513 times)

Fast Harley

• View Profile
Re: Various Thoughts and Cogitations, New Version
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 10:41:51 PM »
That time I bought a gun.....
Was at a "newer' local gun store, today, and something about it all brought up this old memory.
Some 16 or 18 years back, I had ordered a gun from a friend, now passed, and got word to pick
it up at his store. That day at work, ball caps being head gear of choice, unless hazards meant,
hard hat, some salesman had left some advertising ball caps for us. Had my arms full, leaving for
the day so put the new ball cap on top of the one I had on. Just wanted to get home and day done,
I went to pick up my new gun. Going in, four or five people in the shop, two or three I knew, plus
the owner, and I noticed they said little, no one would make eye contact. Did the paperwork, paid
the cash. Nobody laughed, or even snickered. Driving home I noticed that I was wearing TWO ball
caps! I hate them now, (ball caps,) don't wear them because they remind me of work. Question:
Did they notice and were afraid to say, OR did they not notice, at all? We'll never know.....
Harley.
True story!

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 09:56:15 PM »
Had to do some home repairs for my parents, with some help from my brother.
I have been known to say this before, and now I must say it again: " I can explain it,
or I can do it, but I can't explain it AND do it."
Harley.
PS- Charly may know what I mean.

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 10:26:30 PM »

Oh, and here's one: I have learned the meaning of: "blighted neighborhood," I have one.  >:(
F.H.

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
Luckly, our neighborhood recently improved when a collective group of neighbors forced out the puppy mill and auto repair shop next door.

Hurricanecharly

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 08:30:19 PM »
I know what you mean Harley,thanks for the help, but you're making it harder!
Lucky man who has family to help and family to help them!
Quickest  way to go broke, work for family!

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
Things I saw and heard at the Rangers, today:

Number 4- Question was asked, if you picked the Joker on the card suit stage, you could choose your side, but could it be
one side for pistol and one for rifle? I said, "No." Capt. Bill said, " But it's "A" side, and "A"nother side." Good try, Bill.  ;D

Number 3- "Way to hang in there," might not be the nicest thing to say to someone who had a bad stage. (Inside joke.)

Number 2- That thing that Unpleasant wrote about: " Do not look at the donut hole. Look at the donut whole!"- I think really
helped me clean the smaller targets on a couple of stages, today. Seriously. Something to think about.

And.....Number 1- Empty shotgun shells WILL NOT fire!  :o

Harley.
You had to be there.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:50:16 PM by Fast Harley »

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2019, 11:04:59 PM »
Was talking to Sheriff Lord on the phone, today, about the memorial for Judge.
Along the way he brought up a party we had here, at our place in 2012. A zero, or one,
tornado in August of that year had brought down a 90 year old tree that my great grandfather
had planted.
I named it the Tennessee Chainsaw Party. Worked up the tree, gave out much of the wood, food,
etc., later.
On into the night, as he said. Good times! Need some, now.
Harley.

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 07:04:38 AM »
The sun will shine to light each day & the moonbeams will light up the night, look for the goodness of life & carry on putting one foot in front of the other.

Hasta Luego, Keystone
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »
Harley,

Hard to believe that was 7 years ago.  Sometimes I am shocked at how quickly time passes.  Is that a sign of getting older?

AM

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 10:28:07 AM »
"The wisest are the most annoyed at the loss of time." - Dante Alighieri

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »
Nothing but neglect for my thread, here. Too much real life and responsibility.....
I have often thought that if I could have talked with our western heroes, who would it be?
I would have said, and have said, John Wayne, and that's worthy, however, with maturity, and
just perhaps, wisdom, I now would say: Audie Murphy.
Thoughts, anyone?
Harley.

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2019, 08:07:02 AM »
DANG! It makes my head hurt trying to narrow it down to one person. Clint East wood is still alive & like John Wayne has had a long career mostly on the big screen. James Arness also had a long career but mostly on the small screen. So many stars, co-stars, leading ladies, sidekicks and extras that made westerns such a great genre. I guess it would be to John Wayne because of the expanse of his career and all the western actors & actresses he worked with & knew.
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2019, 08:23:09 PM »
Bringing up sidekicks is a good point. Arthur Hunnicutt in El Dorado. Walter Brennan at any time.
As an aside, I like Tim Holt movies. It seems like he would have been fun to know.
Harley.

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »
Bringing up sidekicks makes me thank of George Hayes. Most of us know him as Gabby. I remember him from the Roy Rogers shows but he goes back much father that that. Sidekick to Hopalong Cassidy. Windy his name. Was also sidekick to a young actor named John Wayne in the 30s.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »
A Thread on the SASS forum regarding SASS early originals being forgotten caused me to post this.....

Having been involved in SASS for several years, and several years in range affairs, like most of us,

I have a list of folks in my head that is into hundreds of names. So many passed, got too many health

problems, quit, moved away, etc. The point to me is that all of us in CAS are a part of a breed that will

not be seen again. I have met some of the originals, I even met Phantom, once. I'm positive he wouldn't

remember. (In a parking lot in Texas, some years back.)

Some, not all, of the finest friends I have ever had in this life have been in Cowboy Action. They are real,

they last, and you can ride the trail with almost all.

A price can not be put on the enrichment this game has meant to my life.

Whether well known or not, with thanks given to all that have helped our path, how wonderful it is to

have known these people! New shooters, as well!

Harley.