Author Topic: Friday's Long Range Shoot  (Read 1023 times)

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
Friday's Long Range Shoot
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:41:03 PM »
Ranger Z taught me more about long range iron sights in 30 minutes than I could have learned anywhere else in a year. 

Dirty Dan brought his 38-55, I think because he knew I had one and wanted to show me how to shoot it.  He did, very well. He is an amazing shootist and just fun to be around.

Leadhead simply showed off.  Once on a target he just would not miss.  Sort of annoying, but we tolerated him.

Maddog.  Well this man has more enthusiasm for this sport than you could imagine.  He has the most exotic weapons and the ability to use them. 

We all shot each other’s rifles in an informal manner and had a really good time.

My thanks to Maddog for heading this up, I know it’s not a cake walk.

The heat and the timing (day before main match) were a deterrent however I would encourage anyone interested in long range to come to the next session.  It truly is fun.

Sheriff L.
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Jackalope

• View Profile
Re: Friday's Long Range Shoot
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
I'm glad you all had a good time.  Wish I could have been there but was overcome by events.  Maybe next time...

My thanks to Maddog for running with this idea!
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Ranger Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
Thanks Sheriff. But you do understand that the only reason I know all that stuff is cause, over the years, I’ve already made just about every mistake you can possibly make.
Thanks to Maddog for getting the Long Range shoot going. It was a great time and I plan to be back on a regular basis. Still have a few old rifles I need to blow the dust off of and get a load worked up for.
If you make it next time Jackalope, I’ll let you give my 50-140 Sharps a try.

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:33:54 PM »
Thanks Ranger Z.  You are indeed a humble teacher.

As an "I think I figured it out" my Buffalo Classic 45-70 was shooting at the moon instead of the 100 yard target because of the sight that it came with.  I did my due diligence to find out that the ladder sight installed was a Smith (an AZ company) sight specifically made for 500 yard plus.   Hence the issue.  It could be really good one day, maybe black powder on the Big Range. :)

I located on Numrich an "original" rear sight for this rifle that sits so much lower I think I am good to go. We'll see.

So Maddog when is the next Long Range Match?  As always let me know if I can help, especiallly if you sneek in to set up the range at dawn.

Looking forward to the next one.

Sheriff L.

Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 07:02:01 PM »
...I’ll let you give my 50-140 Sharps a try.

Sounds awesome!
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7

MADDOG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
Sorry partners for being out of touch for a spell had some critical personal matters to attend to. Glad everybody that attended the long range shoot enjoyed. I had a great time myself. Was cool to see all those weapons. Now let's get down to business. I agree we need to change nights and time of shoot in an effort to get more to attend. Just to throw it out there. We have practice match on Tuesdays and main match on Saturdays. Just to get the ball rolling how about having the long range on Thursday night starting at 6pm.that would give us proximatly 3 hours of shooting light and a day between other events. Let's have everybody's input and then I will decide. We just need to decide by end of next week. 

Sheriff Langston

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »
Hey all,

I would be fine with the Thursday of the shoot week at around 6:00 PM.  If this works for everyone and it becomes a regular event, we could start a little earlier as the nights close in.

Count me in but I'm open to any other suggestions also.

Another thought might be Sundays after set up??

Sheriff Langston.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 07:12:06 PM by Sheriff Langston »
Sheriff Langston
SASS # 106047
Outlaw Long Ranger

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 07:12:46 PM »
I'm not really bound to a set schedule, so one evening is pretty much as good as another.  I am subject to the occasional project or family matter, however.  I would like to attend occasionally, but probably won't turn into a regular participant.  That said, whatever works best for you "Long Rangers" is cool.

Might be a good idea to toss the idea around at the next Outlaw match for some input.
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7

leadhead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »
I am good with whatever is decided  but I do like The Sheriff's idea of Sunday after setup. It would save a lot of drive time for the folks not living close to Oak Ridge.