Author Topic: Did I fix it?  (Read 2010 times)

Jim Mayo

• View Profile
Re: Did I fix it?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »
I have not logged in in sometime and have been getting the "Not Acceptable" message for some time when I select Fourm. I would have to back up and select Forum again to view posts.

Today I did not get the message until I got to Topics page, I had to login in to get into the messages. 

Critr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 12:43:45 PM »
It worked!!!!!!!
CRITR

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
I have to modify the address every time I try to connect to the forum. I’ve cleared all browsing & download history  as well as Cookies and it still pops up with the Redirect address when I click on "Forum".
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:22:24 PM by Keystone »
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Ringer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »
Somehow I got in! ::)

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Here's what I know so far....

The error message is sent by the mod_security which is a Firewall app used by Apache which is the software that is used by our webhosting company, HostGator.  They call it a "client-based" error because mod_security looks at the request made by a client (browser) to load a page or perform some function and if it finds anything that looks like hacking, it says that the request made by the client is "not acceptable."  The problem is that it sometimes thinks that perfectly normal things look suspicious.   Many websites have evidently had problems with random, mysterious objections from mod_security that are hard to track down. 

Since I was not getting this message myself, it was hard for me to figure out what exactly mod_security was objecting to.  The tech at HostGator added some code to my .htaccess file that was supposed to fix it, but it did not. 

Then I got the message myself, but only when I clicked on the "Forum" link on the menu bar.  If I went directly to the forum from my bookmark, it worked fine.  So I switched the URL on the menubar to the same URL I had bookmarked... from www.oakridgeoutlaws.org/forum  to  http://www.oakridgeoutlaws.org/forum/index.php?wwwRedirect.  This fixed the problem for me and I never saw the message again.   Unfortunately, it did not seem to work for everyone. 

Sheriff Langston - Here is the explanation of wwwRedirect:  https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/WwwRedirect Its not anything bad.  SMF (Simple Machines) is the software I use to run the forum.

I talked to another tech at HostGator and they basically said, "Don't know why there is a problem."

What makes this difficult is that a) I cannot reproduce these errors myself and b) from your reports, they seem to show up at various times, doing different tasks, but not consistently.  There is the option of asking HostGator to disable mod_security completely for our website, but I'd rather not do that.

If those of you having this problem could tell me what link you clicked or specific address you tried to go to that causes the problem, maybe I could find some pattern.  Send me an email at anita_margarita@ymail.com, if you wish.  I will continue to try to track this down.  I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

AM
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:50:52 PM by Anita Margarita »

TN Mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »
Well since the new fix, I'm having to do it twice again. :-\

Ringer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 02:33:47 AM »
Went right in again!

Judge Duncan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 05:39:47 PM »

First time in a couple of days that it worked for me.