Author Topic: Kenesaw Kid Passing  (Read 2657 times)

Tombstone

• View Profile
Kenesaw Kid Passing
« on: May 09, 2017, 10:08:36 PM »
It with incredible sadness I must report the passing of one of our major contributors to SMSS and the Oak Ridge Outlaws.

Kenesaw Kid, aka Ron Kirkham passed away today very unexpectedly, Mary Jane, his wife was with him.

Our prayers and hearts go out to Kenesaw's friends, Cactus Red and the whole Kirkham family.

There will be more posted as arrangements are made. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:30:55 AM by Tombstone »

Keystone

• View Profile
Re: Kennesaw Kid Passing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
How sad to learn of Kenesaw's passing. My condolences to the family on the sudden passing of Ron. Kenesaw Kid was Cactus Red's uncle. Kenesaw was the Ramrod of the Smoky Mountain Shootist Society in 2002 when I took up Cowboy Action Shooting. Although he hasn't shoot in a while, Kenesaw managed the monthly awards and other promotional items for us. May God bless his family during this sad time.

Vaya con Dios, Keystone
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:17:53 AM by Keystone »
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Jim Mayo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 06:04:45 AM »
Our condolences to Outlaw Cactus Red, the family and friends of Kenesaw Kid at his passing.

Our prayers for healing go out to all. RIP Ron!

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »
Kenesaw was the first person to welcome us into the game at the first match I ever shot, so
I am filled with sadness at this news. He hasn't shot with us very much in a few years. I am
very happy that I got to talk to him at the Reunion.
Harley.
I am very sorry, Cactus.

TN Mongo

• View Profile
Re: Kenesaw Kid Passing
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
It was good to see him again at the reunion match.  I am very sad to hear of his passing.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
For those who do not know Kenesaw, he was very active in our club when I joined back in 2000, he was was president of SMSS in 2002 and pretty much appointed me president after he stepped down. He was a great artist who designed our logos over the years, both for the Pigeon Forge Shoot-Out, SMSS and the Oak Ridge Outlaws, he did our awards for as long as I can remember. He was Cactus Reds uncle and really helped get Cactus into CAS. Lately he had hung up his guns and was playing a lot of golf.
Although he was not shooting with us he was still very involved in our club and will be missed by all of us who were blessed to have know him.

Again our hearts and prayers go out to Mary Jane, Cactus Red and the entire Kirkham family. 

Sam Buca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:57:06 AM »
What terrible shock.  I briefly knew Kennesaw and met his wife on one occasion.  My sympathy and prayers go to out to Cactus and Mary Jane.

May God give you strength and comfort in the days ahead...Sam Buca

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »
We are so very sorry to hear about Kenesaw - a great loss not only for his family and friends, but for our local cowboy community as well.  Our condolences to Cactus.

AM & Jackalope

Judge Duncan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 02:24:19 PM »

I am so saddened to hear this.

It was so good to see him at the Reunion last month.

Prayers go out to Cactus Red and his family.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
I have thinking about Kenesaw today and remembering may things that happened over the years. He is the one that pretty much pushed me into getting so involved in CAS and especially SMSS, pretty much the same for Cactus. He is also the one that came up with "Outlaw" when we needed our own category. As a matter of fact if I am remembering right, he came up to me about 3 years in and said we needed to name our group since there were about 6 or 8 of us hip-shooting back then. He suggested we call our style of shooting "Outlaw", I said that sounded good and low and behold, he already had to awards printed up. Must have known we would like the name.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 03:31:38 PM »
Funeral arrangements have been made. Unfortunately they will fall on Saturday.
Saturday
Central Baptist Church at Bearden
Visitation 1 – 3
Service at 3
If you attend you are encouraged to wear cowboy attire, there will be special seating for the cowboys and we are invited to join the family for a meal afterwards.

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
A summary of Kenesaw Kid aka Ron Kirkham from "LinkedIn".

A graduate of Central High School (class of ‘57) in Knoxville,Tennessee, I attended Carson-Newman College and then made my way to The Art Center School in Los Angeles to study watercolor and graphic art. My wife, and best friend, is Mary Jane who teaches science at the High School level. One of the best decisions we ever made was when we adopted our daughter, Saleah Marie, when she was just ten days old. Saleah graduated from Maryville College and is continuing her education to be a Pharmacist at ETSU. (Saleah completed her education & is working as a Pharmacist)

One of my greatest experiences in the field of advertising was to work directly with Roy Rogers, Dale, and the Sons of the Pioneers in connection with the Roy Rogers Restaurant chain (mostly located in the North East part of the country). I’ve always been captivated by “Cowboys” and the Western way of life. Western movies have always portrayed the spirit and soul of America more than any other. They deal with fundamental conflicts: good and evil, bravery and cowardice, the need to be free and independent and the need for community. Thankfully I have had very good health over the years so that I could enjoy the many hobbies and interests that I seem to get involved with. Golf is another thing that takes much of my time. I’ve never been really good at it but I seem to hit just enough good shots to keep me coming back. ( October 2014 I shot my age -- 75)

Watercolor had become one of my favorite things to do since school and now I plan to
spend much more time in this area after retiring from the advertising and commercial art field that has been my primary source of income. My interest in producing "limited edition prints” from my watercolors, has been a sideline since 1972. These are sold in many galleries, mainly in the southeast. During the 1980's I taught drawing and watercolor classes and intend to resume teaching again soon. All this . . . and still freelancing graphic art jobs, is more than enough to keep me busy in what I’m calling retirement.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:57:09 AM by Keystone »
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Lightning McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
A great sadness is all I can say. I couldn't believe when I heard. Ron was a cowboy Pard but became more. I worked on the Smoky Mountain Shootout with me from beginning to the last one. He was a great help and we became friends. He was an artist and we have one of his paintings hanging in our living room. Both MsDeelightning and I will miss his smile and contages happy attatude. We pray for piece and comfort for Maryann their daughter and Cactus Red at this time.  See you down the trail Pard and until then thanks for you friendship. Lightning McCoy

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »
Howdy Pards & Pardettes,

Visited with Cactus Red last night. He and family are doing as well as can be expected. Cactus asked that folks come in "Cowboy" attire even if your coming straight from the range.

Central Baptist Church of Bearden
(6300 Deane Hill Drive, west of the intersection of Kingston Pike & Northshore Dr.)

Visitation 1-3pm
Memorial Service 3pm

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Ocoee Red

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 01:00:14 PM »
A great sadness is all I can say. I couldn't believe when I heard. Ron was a cowboy Pard but became more. I worked on the Smoky Mountain Shootout with me from beginning to the last one. He was a great help and we became friends. He was an artist and we have one of his paintings hanging in our living room. Both MsDeelightning and I will miss his smile and contages happy attatude. We pray for piece and comfort for Maryann their daughter and Cactus Red at this time.  See you down the trail Pard and until then thanks for you friendship. Lightning McCoy

Well said Lightning.