Author Topic: Opinions are like six guns...  (Read 340 times)

Malcolm Reynolds

• View Profile
Opinions are like six guns...
« on: June 18, 2021, 02:00:58 AM »
Hello Ladies, Gentlemen, Desperadoes and Soiled Doves alike!  I was thinking about joining this hobby and my first purchase will be my six guns.  As ya'll know, black powder pistols are the finest technological achievement west of the Mississippi.  Well, no one can accuse me of the crime of being smart, so I need your help.  In your opinion, which should be my first purchase; Pietta, Uberti, Ruger, etc?  I surely appreciate any and all help/suggestions.

Respectfully Yours,
Mal

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
Re: Opinions are like six guns...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »
There are those who are more knowledgeable than I on the subject, especially on guns shooting black power.
I just wanted to say howdy and welcome to the fun.
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »
Howdy Malcom,

Have you attended a match and had an opportunity to see first hand what's involved and what firearms folks seem to be using? What type of shooter do you intend to become; a casual for the enjoyment, a competitive shooter or maybr somewhere in between.. If you choose black powder, do you want to shoot cap & ball pistols or cartridge pistols? Will you be reloading or purchasing your ammunition? Which style of shooting best suits you, traditional (two handed), duelist (one hand unsupported) or gunfighter (a pistol in each hand). Have you handled any pistols to see which grip frame feels more comfortable? It's difficult to give you a definitive answer without more information about your involvement. We will be pleased to assist you once we know more about you. Hope to see you on the range.

Hasta Luego, Keystone
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Malcolm Reynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 03:33:11 AM »
Howdy Keystone,

Fair questions one and all.  Never been to a match, but I'd like to get involved in black powder cartridge shooting.  Gunslinger most likely.  I'll start by purchasing my ammunition, but will undoubtedly turn to reloading my own.  I think casual enjoyment is goal as winning/losing doesn't matter while I'm around good people.  Handled a few pistols, but never really noticed any overly drastic difference in grips (might have just been me not paying attention).

John Kloehr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 09:00:37 AM »
Well, get thee to a match!

If I'm there, and you let me know in advance (and I fix a problem with my shotgun) you can borrow that. I have enough 12GA shells to spare you for a match.

Not sure about July at the moment, eyeing August for my next match.

Likely others will also loan other firearms for you to try.

My Stoeger SxS is a good gun, my shells are a bit stiffer than I would like. I've been loaned better than mine with lighter shells An SKB with light loads is a pleasure to shoot.

But you asked about revolvers. For revolvers, you really ned to handle a bunch of them. What model, what grips, what caliber, what hammer, and more; you have a lot of questions you did not ask.

A match is the best place to get started before you spend money.

BTW, I'm pretty new at this sport, have more experience in other sports. I too am headed down the black powder path but probably not get to reloading until this winter.

Get thee to a match!
Have all my guns, now need to learn reloading. Anyone want to volunteer to be my local mentor?
John Kloehr: https://www.kayempea.net/adds/kloehr.html

Malcolm Reynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 03:19:31 AM »
That is an incredibly kind and generous offer John Kloehr, but I couldn't take advantage of someone and use their property.  I might ask to handle a few revolvers though, just to get a better feel.

John Kloehr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 08:23:24 AM »
Just paying it forward, I'm not going to name names but I have been loaned equipment in the past.
Have all my guns, now need to learn reloading. Anyone want to volunteer to be my local mentor?
John Kloehr: https://www.kayempea.net/adds/kloehr.html