Author Topic: Your Choice Five or Six Stages  (Read 1119 times)

Keystone

• View Profile
Your Choice Five or Six Stages
« on: June 01, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »
Howdy Folks,

For most of my cowboy action shooting experience (18+ years) shooting (5) stages on (5) separate bays was the norm and there were times we actually shot 4 & 5 posses at a monthly match. As time moved along more clubs were established and some folks shot closer to home traveling less. The new norm for our monthly matches was no more than (3) posses and we moved to shooting (2) stages per bay utilizing (3) bays per match. Setup & teardown times were reduced and we enjoyed shooting six stages per match. Well, time stand's still for none of us. I have been approached by several folks about going back to shooting 5 stages mainly due to aging/health concerns (eps. during warmer months) and ammo/supply shortages. Still, others wish to continue shooting 6 stages.

So, as a trial run we will continue set up (3) bays as usual but at signup a shooter will choose to shoot either (5) or (6) stages. The match will be scored on stages 1-5 with the 6th available but not scored in the match. Posse #1 will be mostly comprised of folks shooting (5) stages & Posse #2 folks mostly folks shooting (6) stages. In the event we have have (3) posses, then Posse #3 will be mostly folks shooting 6 stages & Posse #2 may be a mix. We will need to balance the number of shooters on each posse and a shooter will still be permitted (1) reshoot per match.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

PS The Tennessee Mountain Marauders have found a potential range but unfortunately they will also be shooting on the 2nd Saturday.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:50:29 AM by Keystone »
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Turkey Creek Vic

• View Profile
Re: Five or Six Stages ?????
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
Thank You for the update. It seems like it will work for everyone.

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 09:07:33 AM »
In the heat of the summer I seem to fade around stage 5. Six always pushes but will go with the team.

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 07:57:17 AM »
sounds like a reasonable solution
Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Mister Badly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 09:09:14 AM »
I'm ok with five
Outlaw Jedi Gunfighter #322

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 11:59:05 AM »
Just bringing this to the top for folks who may have missed it.
Hope to see y'all at he June match.
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Long Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 05:26:26 PM »
I shot Green Co. today. We shot 5 stages with a six't optional. After 5 stages no one wanted to shoot the six't.
It was a little warm.

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 07:49:55 AM »
If you want to beat the heat in the summer, we could start earlier.... like 8 or 8:30.

AM

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 08:55:45 AM »
This comes up about every summer, if we start earlier we loose shooters that have to travel some distance. We would also have to get permission from ORSA to start before 9:00

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 10:38:39 AM »
The reason it comes up every summer is because it's a good idea.

1)  Much of the concern about getting up too early for the drive related to the folks living around Cleveland.  I've heard speculation that those people will likely attend the TN Mtn Marauder match instead, which is scheduled on the same day as the Oak Ridge match.  (At least for now.)

2)  ORSA says no shooting prior to 9 AM...we can easily get all prelude out of the way at 8 or 8:30 and send the first shot downrange at 9 o'clock. 

3)  Don't you imagine that those other shooters who "have to travel some distance" might like to beat the heat, too?

If beating the heat is the goal, keep the posse size small and start shooting at 9.  We can be putting the targets away by 12:30.
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Turkey Creek Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 11:06:34 AM »
For July and August starting early would be ok . It gets light early but beating the heat in the summer in the south really? I have an hour drive and early for me is not the end of the earth.  :P

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »
Well,

The main reasons for considering 5 stages instead of 6, are aging shooters are having difficulty with shooting 6 stages and the acute shortage of ammo & reloading supplies with available ammo at astronomical prices. Warmer weather does indeed make shooting more difficult for most shooters. Our current schedule is to start the pre-match activities a 9am which rarely occurs due to late arrivals of participants. We have always tried to be considerate of our fellow shooters. Before trying to start shooting at 9am perhaps we should attempt to start pre-match activities at the scheduled time.

Perhaps it is time for a different mentality in leading the Outlaws. This will be my last term as a club officer. Aging & health issue are catching up with me and it is time to take a step away.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Keystone

• View Profile
Re: Your Choice Five or Six Stages
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 09:52:59 AM »
Howdy,

Weather is looking good. Hope to see y'all on Saturday.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Purly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
PS The Tennessee Mountain Marauders have found a potential range but unfortunately they will also be shooting on the 2nd Saturday.

The Tennessee Mountain Mauraders  are shooting the 2nd Saturday this month. This is a one time time thing hopefully we will be back to 3rd Saturday next month.

River Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 11:17:41 AM »
very good idea