Author Topic: The second "What would you do?"  (Read 344 times)

Jackalope

• View Profile
The second "What would you do?"
« on: June 18, 2022, 07:49:43 AM »
This stage's instructions are:  With rifle, engage the four rifle targets in a continuous Nevada sweep beginning on either end.  With handguns, engage the four handgun targets in a continuous Nevada sweep beginning on either end.

Simple questions:  Do you begin on the left end or the right end and why?  Do you begin on the same end with rifle and handguns?
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Uncle Ethan

• View Profile
Re: The second "What would you do?"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »
Left to right.
1. More natural for a right eye/handed dominant shooter.
2. I start with Left hand gun.

Jedi Gunfighter #287
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."
Wyatt Earp

Mister Badly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 03:21:39 PM »
I generally go left to right. Probably because I did it that way during my hours of dry firing in the basement when I practiced Gunfighter. Rifle depends on end target sizes. Bigger targets give more wiggle room on hitting the first shot. I lock my height from that first shot.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 03:29:34 PM by Mister Badly »
Outlaw Jedi Gunfighter #322

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 09:22:59 AM »
All else being equal, I tend to start on the left, but there are factors that can change that.  For example, if by starting on the right I can end pointing in a direction more conducive for the next task or if the right target is significantly larger than the left so I can get on target for my first shot faster or if it is a sweep where you hit the starting target more times than the others and the one on the right is larger. 

I sometimes do shoot the rifle and pistol from opposite directions - I think I did that on one stage this month and I had a logical reason for it that I don't remember now.

Shooting traditional, I always shoot my right pistol first, but when I was shooting gunfighter, I forced myself to mix it up because "left first" was becoming ingrained and there are often situations where it is much better to start with the right one.

AM

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 07:17:23 AM by Anita Margarita »

Yohan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 03:46:30 PM »
Start on the left end on the right. Go from left to right on the stage starting with either rifle or pistols preferably starting with rifle being the layout of the stage is the unknown is this case... I am going to assume a stand and deliver scenario. Where are your hands when you start assuming touching weapon of choice so hands touching rifle I would shoulder rifle at the beep and start on the left end on the right. Table rifle with left hand while attempting to drawer revolver from right holster then re-holster while drawing left revolver making the 2 hand exchange for squaw grip :-) then as re-holstering left revolver reach for shotgun while coming off of left revolver and grabing to shot shells for a DB. In a perfect world :-)
SASS # 110347
SassVet #592-sassvets.homestead.com/
2022 - Tennessee State Senior Champion
RO1

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 04:44:03 PM »
Start on the left end on the right.    ...snip...   start on the left end on the right.

I don't understand this.

Gun order, shooting location, and starting position are all irrelevant in this "What would you do".

Do you start your Nevada sweep on the left target or the right target?  And do you follow the same order with both long and short guns?
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7

Randy Saint Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 09:56:41 PM »
I would start the rifle on the left and pistols on the right. Shooting duelist I like to start my right pistol on the right when possible.

Randy

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 08:17:43 PM »
I am a black powder shooter, so starting on the left or right depends on where the wind is blowing the smoke.  At least I would like everyone to believe that I am that clever. 

;D

In reality, I usually prefer to start on the right...maybe because I like to shoot the right handgun first.  I don't always begin on the same end with rifle and handguns, but I agree with others who mentioned that engaging the biggest target first is a great idea.
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7

Tombstone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 07:59:04 AM »
I would watch what everyone else does and then try something different. Thats just the Outlaw way